PCPartPicker

• Register

Is this PSU good enough for a budget build?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

MexAlessandro7 1 month ago

Hello, I was wondering if the Corsair VS450 was still a good buy in 2019, the only negatives that I see are that it has the ketchup and mustard PSU cables and it's only 80+. Would it be fine for my system?

CPU: R3 2200G

MOBO: B450 Aorus Elite

GPU: Gigabyte RX 570

RAM: 2x4GB 2666MHz

SSD: 240GB M.2-2280

The case I plan to use is the Corsair SPEC-DELTA RGB

Comments Sorted by:

ImperiousBattlestar 3 points 1 month ago

No, it's not a good pick. You're better off with a CX/M

mark5916 2 points 1 month ago
MexAlessandro7 submitter 1 point 1 month ago

I'm planning on getting the CX450, just seeing if I can save a few extra bucks, thanks

mark5916 2 points 1 month ago

The Corsair VS450 is not a unit that you can rely on, if you make any further upgrades on your build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGTe2lXfxR8

• <switch subtitles to ON>

It will work decently on that price range and will not compromise any of your components if something goes wrong.

But as i said, that unit is intended for a low cost build, will not explode on you, you an certainly play games with it, but it's not a unit for very heavy loads on the 12V rail.

And saying that this particular unit is utter chunk, just means...you can't realize what a budget unit means. :)

So if you can't do better for now, instead of not getting any PSU to fire up that build, even a VS unit will work decently.

Power states are anyway disabled on the most boards (if not on all of them at default), your GPU and CPU will definitely not work at 100% simultaneously, you don't have a RAID storage array either, and if a worse case scenario occurs where the PSU runs out of specs on a cross-load situation, guess what...that PSU has OVP and UVP and that just means it will just shut OFF!

So, no problem whatsoever. And that's how it works.

If someone else says to you, that PSU will destroy all of your PC components if something goes out of spec (and that's a BIG IF!) that's for sure utter BS. ;)

For better or for worse, i still use Group regulated PSUs because the absurd prices here in Greece for getting a high end PSU unit, and i can ensure you, as long as your don't have in mind to use high end components on your RIG that consumes a huge amount of Wattage and heavy loads, these PSUs aren't that bad, that most people think they are.

legomaster 6 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

The vs series is utter junk.

mark5916 1 point 1 month ago

For a low end build, it's enough.

Junk it is not.

You could do worse but you can do better. :-P

Now the problem is, this PC is supposed to be a gaming PC, and thus that PSU may be not be the best option.

But it will not explode. lol

legomaster 6 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

The problem with the vs series is that for not that much more you can get a cx series psu

mark5916 1 point 1 month ago

Yes that's true.

And that's why it's not the best idea for getting a VS, if he can get a way better unit for a bit more.

That way he can keep that CX unit for many years, and don't pay twice for getting a better unit if he wants to update the components to better ones in the long run :)