add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Plugging SATA into a Perif port on EVGA 550 B3

StevenAlleyn

8 months ago

So here's the setup I'm going for:

In a few months I'm going to set up 2x6TB drives in RAID1 to backup an array of 4x2TB drives in RAID5. In addition to this I'm going to have an SSD for the NAS' OS + a 320GB scratch drive for a Plex DVR. If you're keeping count, that's 8 SATA drives scattered all over the very large Phanteks Enthoo Pro, which also needs SATA Power for the fan controller.

My EVGA B3 has only 2 dedicated ports for SATA cables. I noticed the pin layout on the Perif port is identical to the SATA cables, so I was curious if a 3rd 4xSATA connector power cable can be plugged into the Perif out, or if I should be looking at extensions.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

On the PSU side, the modular plugs for 4-pin molex and SATA connectors are the same. Obviously, make sure you're using an appropriate modular cable, since the PSU side is not well-standardized across different PSU models. To be safe, if you're using anything but what came and was originally intended to be used with your PSU, always check the FINAL outputs with a multimeter against the specifications. (You may need a fine-tip prong for SATA connectors, and be sure to avoid shorting anything.)

On a side note, I wouldn't personally recommend the B3 units. The RSY/SuperFlower shenanigans EVGA was pulling with that line were pretty shady.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I already have the B3 550 in my NAS. It's been doing a fine job so far. But I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for the clarification :) I'll double check with EVGA before pulling the trigger on a particular cable, I think.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

You got me digging about it & the issues are apparently almost exclusively with overpower protection, which is reassuring. Even with 7 HDDs & an SSD, I won't be pulling more than 300W on this at highest load. Everything else I've seen about this series says its actual power delivery is solid, so I should be okay.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, however, power can surge for seemingly no reason. It's an unnecessary risk.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube