• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

HotShot_01 1 month ago

When i mean cheap, i mean that i don't want to go and get something that costs £20 and then dies in 3 days, but something that people know is reliable and cheap enough that it can store several TB's of video. I might also look into making a DIY NAS but for now i just need more storage space. I even had to get an NVME m.2 because even though i don't mind sata based SSDs, i was using nearly all of my PCI ports.

Comments Sorted by:

fellway 2 points 1 month ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-drive/#sort=ppgb&page=1

In general, the 5400s are slower, though the 7200s are louder. All the ones I'm seeing in that filter are pretty much your standard inexpensive hard drive, with the X300 being the next step up. It offers great speed and power usage/noise, while also being reliable and, well, large.

HotShot_01 submitter 9 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

Ah Ok. well i'm not concerned about the speed of hard drives so i guess ill look at getting the slower ones if they don't make as much noise.

yawumpus 2 points 1 month ago

Hard drives aren't like SSDs in that there are a lot of fly-by-night manufactures in China producing the bottom rung. There's only like 3 manufactures of the things (unless one has bought another by now, which wouldn't surprise me). Any new drive should be fairly reliable, and if you really care about those things you can check the backblaze reliability stats.

If you really care, you can set up a RAID5 system (which can survive a failed drive, but adds complexity that can itself fail), but for 4TB I'd just by a 4TB SATA drive and be done with it. For video the 5400rpms should be ideal (quieter and lower power, maybe even cheaper), but I wouldn't make it too much of a deal breaker over 7200rpms.

thunder-93 1 point 1 month ago

how much storage do you need?

HotShot_01 submitter 9 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

Probably around 4TB. I don't mind getting less, but I'd like to keep all my existing videos together

pcbldragain 1 point 1 month ago

I got a barracuda 3tb at newegg for 69 with a promo red tag sale yesterday, it was best deal I found on a 3tb that appears to be new and not used. Some external drives are cheap, but not sure how much speed you need.

mack_au 4 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

860 Evo for SSD's, and Toshiba 7200 drives for HDD.

pcbldragain 1 point 1 month ago

The barracuda is 7200, not sure about it as any HDD you look up people complain about them. I do have a 5400 WD 1tb green in another PC you can't even hear it, been going great for years. I read that drive is a blue now but not sure about that. It is used for OS and lots of pics and video. I can't do SSD in that old thing so it is what it is far as speed.