add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

pop ups - no matter the browser

master_photog

5 months ago

Can anyone identify this virus/malware and how to go about removing it?

No matter the browser I open, these pop ups occur every time. I close them, then they re appear in 5 minutes.

Below is a link to two screen shots, the top screen shot has no pop ups, the bottom screen shot does.

Thank you

http://www.cs2photography.com/3v.jpg

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

Certainly looks like a scam ad. If you get it on just one site, avoid that site.

If this happens on multiple sites, you might have some unwanted adware installed. Antivirus programs don't always catch these, so you need a program like Malwarebytes or Spybot. I mainly use Malwarebytes these days, so that's the only one I can personally vouch for. There might be better ones.
https://www.malwarebytes.com

The free version will probably do the trick for you.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have Mcafee installed?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I do not, but I also get pop ups about cat food too. So I'm not so sure if that's an accurate pop up or just a simple ad to get me to purchase Mcafee.

[comment deleted]
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Your system/browser(s) are infected.
Provided you have a decent antivirus software, scan your system with it.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Warlock, if I follow the advice from Levyrat, will that solve it or are you suggesting a different approach?

Thank you

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

If you're not running any decent antivirus, then yes, you will need to use something like MalwareBytes.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I downloaded the MalwareBytes trial version with 22 or so items quarantined.

Here is a link that shows the popups still appearing after the install - http://www.cs2photography.com/4v.jpg

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

If you have updated the MalwareBytes before use, chose the Threat Scan option and pop-ups still occur,
Try other anti-malware software until you get rid of it.
e.g. Kaspersky, BitDefender...

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

It doesn't appear that Kaspersky or BitDefender have trial versions like the MalwareBytes.

Rather than purchasing anti-malware software until I get rid of it, I'd like to confirm that's what indeed it is. Purchasing multiple subscriptions to these anti security companies feels like "throwing it against the wall until it sticks" approach, hoping that it is indeed a malware problem.

Are there other trial versions that I can try, which will confirm that it was indeed a malware problem.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Kind of reaching my limits here, but if I was you, I'd do the following.

1. Check for unwanted or iffy browser extensions and remove them.
  2. Check for unwanted or iffy programs and remove them.
  3. Restart the computer and rerun Malwarebytes a few times. Try the same thing with some other adware-specific tools.
  4. Install a beefy antivirus program and pay for the full buffet of protection. (Try what Warlock suggested. Go through a few AV programs until you find one that works or at least one that you like.)

As a last resort, you could pay for a separate adware removal service like the one BitDefender offers. I've never used something like that, so I don't know if it's worth the money, but I'd consider trying it if I couldn't fix a problem like this myself. Good luck!

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

You got adware, download and run malwarebytes. It’s the only antivirus that I know of that is easily uninstallsble, catches all the viruses, and doesn’t flag stuff that’s not a virus.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

The Kaspersky took care of it. Many thanks!!

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

For future reference companies like AVAST have a tool you can load onto a USB that will catch most malware that hide when the system boots to OS. I don't recall the proper name for them but try looking around when you have a handy USB and that usually gets sticky malware out.

[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube