• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

redro_guy 1 month ago

As the title says I purchased a CyberPower PC about 10 months ago (with the help of many kind people on this forum and others! thank you all again) and I think it's time I got a new PSU for it. The specific PC can be found at this link:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-1400-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-1tb-hard-drive-black/5833100.p?skuId=5833100

Two times in the last few months the PC has shut off while I was in the middle of playing a game (the first time was Fortnite and the second time was Fallout 4), and I believe it to be due to the PSU not being up to par. When it has done this it takes a few minutes before it can be booted up again. This most previous time it happened, which was yesterday, it wasn't running particularly loud and the exterior didn't feel very warm. If my understanding is correct, I think the computer shut itself off as a safety measure to make sure other components wouldn't get damaged once the PSU got overloaded. I understand the PSU is usually the most overlooked part in pre-builts, which is why I'd like to look at getting mine replaced if that really is the issue.

I have done some reading on PSU's and plan to do more to get a better understanding of the situation. I've not replaced any parts in this PC yet, so this would be my first time doing that. I know it's probably easier than I think, but it still seems daunting nonetheless. I also first wanted to make sure that my conclusion of the PSU being the issue was correct, before I go out trying to fix a problem that might not exist. The only other 'problem' I can think of with my PC is the single 8gb stick of RAM, as I know it's not ideal to have only one stick. If the PSU is the problem, I'm open to any recommendations for a good quality PSU. Any help is very appreciated!

EDIT: Well I called CyberPowerPC support and it sounds like either the PSU is the culprit or the RAM. I hadn't considered the RAM, but I should've mentioned that I have only one 8gb stick. Is there a chance that this could be the real problem? I'm not entirely sure, but tech support said that if I didn't have enough RAM that that would also lead to my PC crashing. I'm wondering if I need to look into that avenue instead. Is there any way I can tell for sure which is the issue? Or could they both be causing problems? Tech support said I had a standard Thermaltake 500W 80+ PSU (but I don't know how much of that is actually producing 12V). Any advice is appreciated.

Comments Sorted by:

Granddy 1 Build 3 points 1 month ago

I'd check if the parts are overheating or not. Msi afterburner checks the temps in game to see if they're getting hot.

If the temps are fine on them then I'd replace the psu.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FQ648d/corsair-power-supply-cp9020101na

The CXM 450 is a pretty good budget psu and enough power to power that rig.

Though alot of prebuild manufacturers are getting better at adding in a decent psu (ie Dell), there's still quiet a bit of systems out there with a nuclear bomb on your rig.

redro_guy submitter 1 point 1 month ago

I've used both coretemp and open hardware monitor separately and it seems my temps are about average. When playing a game like Dying Light my gpu temp climbs to about.. well it was either 70 or 80, I forgot which, but about within the expected range for my hardware I believe. The designated 'safe' max temperature for my gpu is 95 degrees I believe, of course I strive to go no higher than 80 (and so far the most I've gone up to was 81). I will try MSI afterburner as well, being able to monitor in-game does sound like it could help me narrow this down. Thanks for the advice and recommendation, I'll look into that part.

Granddy 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

You are correct about the gpu temps being safe.

It's the power supply, replace it before it turns it into thanos dust.

Ha, yeah that'd be a shame. Shouldn't take me too long to get it sorted out, thanks for the advice.

vagabond139 5 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

I would replace the PSU to see if it solves it and even if it doesn't the PSU should be replaced anyways since its a bad PSU. The PSU in your build lacks OTP and OCP and it is group regulated which means it has very poor performance. Its in a similar situation as the Seasonic M12II/S12II but it doesn't even have any reviews out for it.

EDIT: Well I called CyberPowerPC support and it sounds like either the PSU is the culprit or the RAM. I hadn't considered the RAM, but I should've mentioned that I have only one 8gb stick. Is there a chance that this could be the real problem?

I can understand the PSU but not RAM. RAM either is defective out of the box or lasts forever, it doesn't degrade or anything. Its the reason why all RAM has a life time warranty. If your RAM was bad you would have noticed it on day one.

tech support said that if I didn't have enough RAM that that would also lead to my PC crashing.

Hahahaha. That has to be a joke. Not having enough RAM just brings your system to a crawl, It will not result in the PC shutting off.

Thanks for the advice, I'm pretty confident from the responses I've gotten that the PSU is it. The RAM will probably get upgraded at a later date though, just as a nicety.

fairtradesloth 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

I had one of those prebuilt PCs a long time ago, either Cyber Power or somewhere like it, can't remember - and the PSU blew up. Smoke bellowed out of my system...

Just made me think of it. I'd say it's a good idea to replace the PSU.

Sounds like bad news... needless to say I'm going to keep the load on my PC pretty light until I get this figured out, just as a precaution. From what I've read and seen with monitoring software so far, I do believe it to be the PSU, so that's probably going to get replaced once I settle on which one suits my rig (and figure out how to actually physically replace it, which makes me kind of nervous lol).

fairtradesloth 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

I think replacing it will be pretty easy. I've only built one PC so far though, and recently so I haven't had to do any replacements other than GPU which I quickly upgraded. Thinking about it you may need to replace several cables when you do it, so it might take a few minutes, but it should be pretty easy.

redro_guy submitter 2 points 1 month ago

The idea of replacing a component like that is only really nerve-wracking because I've never done it before, I'm sure with some proper preparation it won't be that bad. Just gotta read up on it some more and watch some video tutorials. Definitely don't want to screw it up!

mark5916 1 point 1 month ago

If the PSU is the culprit, you can very well select a different and better unit, than the build came with.

However if the problem isn't related to the PSU unit, i would suggest to send the whole computer back for trouble shooting as the build comes with a valid warranty anyway.

Or course you could try to solve the situation yourself, but sometimes things may getting worse, especially if you don't know the exact problem. :)

Yeah I think it seems to be the PSU based on what I've seen and read, everything points to that so far. I'll just need to find an adequate replacement that suits my rig.

mark5916 2 points 1 month ago

For not spending too much, these two are good choices.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/Q7L7YJ,Qb8j4D/

Thanks for the recommendations!

mark5916 1 point 1 month ago

You're welcome :)

Enrico411 1 point 1 month ago

New psu will depend on your budget for it.

Well I called CyberPowerPC support and it sounds like either the PSU is the culprit or the RAM. I hadn't considered the RAM, but I should've mentioned that I have only one 8gb stick. Is there a chance that this could be the real problem? I'm not entirely sure, but tech support said that if I didn't have enough RAM that that would also lead to my PC crashing. I'm wondering if I need to look into that avenue instead. Is there any way I can tell for sure which is the issue? Or could they both be causing problems? Tech support said I had a standard Thermaltake 500W 80+ PSU (but I don't know how much of that is actually producing 12V). Any advice is appreciated.

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

Insufficient RAM should lead to paging, not crashing - although with a poorly written game engine, who knows.

although with a poorly written game engine,

Well the second time it was Fallout 4 so... definitely got me there. Still, I'm going to replace the PSU first and the RAM will get an upgrade at a later date I think, not of necessity but because it'd be nice to have.