• No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

loganloganlo 1 month ago

I'm a game developer, and a 3D artist/painter,

Currently my computer is running off of a 60GB SSD, and two 250GB for HHD's. I usually do a system reformat before these drives get filled, but love the combination of how I've got them set up.

The SSD is used for my OS files, and the two HHD's are formated to be a Primary storage and a Secondary storage. Primary = Games, Drivers, Torrents, etc/ Secondary = UE4, Photoshop, Blender, Projects, etc. I store all my completed projects/clients work, on an external Hard drive.

My next AMD 3000x series I'm building when they come out, I'm trying to figure out how I'd like to go about configuring my new SSD's.

I'm going for the newer faster M2 drives, so not really worried a whole lot about price but trying to keep it below 550$

Anyone have any ideas on how I could go about configuring my storage?

Comments Sorted by:

Levyrat 2 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

I'm leaning toward a single drive system because I like simplicity, but since you're used to a three-drive setup, you can reconstruct it with newer parts. Just get a 250GB or 500GB SSD for the OS and a 1 TB or 2TB SSD partitioned for your primary/secondary setup.

That matches your current configuration, just faster and with more capacity. The details depend on what motherboard you end up choosing. You'll need one with two NVME M2 slots if you want the faster drives.

loganloganlo submitter 1 point 1 month ago

I like this idea, I'm waiting to see the new x570s and I'm really hoping the Asus boards have two M2 slots. Is it possible to Raid 0, two M2 drive partitions? So for example two 500GB drives. Raid 0 250GB on each drive partition, and then the leftover 250GB on both drive A & B just be used regularly for Primary/Secondary?

Levyrat 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

At least some of the Asus boards have two M2 slots. I can't answer the RAID question from personal knowledge, but this is what Asus says about the ROG Strix B450 motherboard:
"Dual PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 slots provide NVMe SSD RAID support for an incredible performance boost. Create a RAID configuration with up to three PCIe 3.0 storage devices via two M.2 slots and a PCIe x16 slot to enjoy incredible data-transfer speeds."
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/

TheShadowGuy 2 points 1 month ago

You could go something like:

Primary- NVME drive like a 970 Evo 500GB

-Partition 1: OS

-Partition 2: Professional programs and working storage

Secondary- Big SATA SSD or HDD for mass storage for games and the like.

Optional tertiary- Use your old HDDs for some critical backup, or as storage for movies and music.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $149.99 @ Samsung
Storage Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $134.99 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $284.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-25 10:31 EST-0500
mack_au 4 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

970 Evo Plus 500g split into two partitions: OS Partition - 80gb Utilities - 420gb $130 USD

1tb 970 Evo Plus $250 USD Games

The 60gb SSD you could use as a place where downloads go initially, maybe music if you have an on-disk collection.

Get an $80 two bay Raid 1 NAS and stick the 250gb drives in a Raid 1 for backup and if you get full, you could switch to larger drives.

If you want just maximum capacity, 860 Evo 2.5" drives are really cheap, you could get a 1tb and a 2tb for $450.

Raphen 1 point 1 month ago

Partition 1 500gb into 2 250gb. 1 250 GB OS and programs, 2nd 250 scratch disks and rendering. Second 500GB for games and the 4TB platter drive for all your downloading, torrents, virtualizing, music, videos, etc.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $69.95 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $69.95 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - IronWolf Pro 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $164.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $304.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-25 16:37 EST-0500