add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

A 2070 or 2080 choice..

BaronMunchausen

6 months ago

Final main piece of my system (itx TT V1 case)) and I was set on a 2070 (after serious searching/reviews) but then did more searching and now i am 50/50 on either a 2070 or 2080 RTX so hence a little input from out there :) .

2070- MSI 2070 Ventus or Evga 2070 Black

2080- MSI 2080 Ventus or Evga 2080 Black

I am playing on a 1080p 560ti SLi system (yeah yeah ancient). I will be going to Ultrawide and this is what is in my range, a Acer ED7 34" 3440x1440 100mhz. I am not a pro player and really do not do FPS just mostly MMO and Elite Dangerous (and soon Star Citizen/Cyberpunk 2077 to name a few) so 1440p/2k is happy for me and not really wanting to spend the $$$$ on 4k (maybe in the future when 8k and god knows what is the newest tech).

So I know what both RTX cards do so do I save some $$ and go with the 2070 (I can buy now) or spend the $$ (need to save up) and get the 2080? Brand wise I have been eyeing MSI (but can go with other brand) and of course the card has to be under 255mm in case and max 285mm (TT V1 case).

So I thank you ahead of any replies.

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. Been looking at SOOOooo many vids of RTX cards/resolution I think my mind is going to explode.

I think I am thinking to far with the 2080 and I should go with the 2070 since it will do 1440p and a little bit of 4k (of course settings not at max) which the 2070 should last for a while and by then will see if I want to go to 4k which at that point odds are the 2080 will be slightly old lol.

Now do I go with MSI Ventus or EVGA Black..Hmmm. More researching :)

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, if you look closely at these videos, especially the last one (latest available alpha version) you will realize...

Star Citizen goes down to the 40s with an i7-8700K@5.0GHz, a GTX 1080Ti (that is very close to a RTX2070) and a 1440p Monitor.

And 1440p means 2560x1440.

Your Monitor has a resolution of 3440x1440

And that means that this Monitor has more pixels and thus the performance of the GPU will be less.

So at this or even higher resolution, i would suggest the RTX 2080 for Star Citizen.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube