• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

UltraNoob123 1 month ago

I am planning on buying either a 250 gb Samsung 970 evo or the 1 tb Intel 660 p. I belive the Intel one has roughly half the read and write speeds of the Samsung. The Intel is also about 60 dollars more expensive. Wich one is the better buy?

Comments Sorted by:

UltraNoob123 submitter 1 point 1 month ago

I know it affects how fast games load but will I notice any difference between the two?

Levyrat 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

It depends.

According to the internet, most users will never notice the difference between an NVME and a SATA SSD. It's not an obvious difference like you'd see going from an HDD to an SSD. So the difference between a slow NVME drive like the 660p and a fast one like the Samsung would probably be even less obvious.

The Intel 660p is, as you noted, about half as fast as that Samsung (although it's not always half the overall performance). It also has lower rated endurance. It's still faster than an SSD on a SATA connection. Since its price recently came down, I'm looking at it as a viable storage option, but only at the 2TB size.

So to answer your question, I think the 660p is the "better" buy. Whether it's a good choice for you depends on your personal wants and needs. Are you looking for best performance and highest reliability? Samsung. Or are you looking to save some money and you're willing to accept some trade-offs on performance? Maybe the Intel.

Will the reliability of the Intel be a problem?

Levyrat 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

I don't know, but I don't think it will be a problem for most of us. btw, I messed up the comparison in my previous post. I was looking at the TBW figures for different size drives.

The Samsung 970 seems like overkill to me though. Unless you have a specific need for that kind of disk speed, that's money that could probably be spent better elsewhere.

I will mostly use it for gaming and since the Samsung is twice as expensive per gb I might go for the intel