PCPartPicker

• Register

PC randomly restarts during gaming. PSU or GPU?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Shankapotamus 1 month ago

I have a GTX 970 ssc and a Corsair cx600m and during gaming sessions the pc just randomly restarts. I need to know if I need to upgrade my PSU or get a new GPU. If I need a new PSU what is compatible with the GPU?

Comments Sorted by:

legomaster 6 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

What are the temps on the system like?

Root_User 1 point 1 month ago

My first guess would be the Corsair CX600M. The old builder series units had their fair share of issues, and a decent budget PSU these days would be a much better pick. It may or may not be the cause of your current issue (system instability under load can certainly be due to a bad PSU, but that is not the only cause). Regardless, I'd recommend replacing it if you are able.

If you have a known-good PSU lying around, I'd go ahead and try that out. If you'd need a new one, good recommendations would depend on your entire build.

If it was the psu that was the issue then it would restart when it first gets under load instead of after the game starts

Root_User 1 point 1 month ago

If it was the psu that was the issue then it would restart when it first gets under load instead of after the game starts

That's rather misleading. The system will be placed under heavier loads during a nontrivial game, compared to booting or web browsing. This primarily stems from the increased power required by the graphics card, as well as the CPU.

Temperatures could still be the issue, but the possibility of PSU issues certainly can't be eliminated, given the information currently available.

Yeah i guess, Just that all the psu symptoms that i have come across were the build shutting off when the game launched