add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Smily

70 months ago

So I need help with the storage on my laptop. I currently have a 750 GB mechanical and a 256GB SSD in it. I use all of the USB ports on it for my keyboard, mouse, and headset. There is an mSATA port that I do not use. I need more storage. I'm interested in buying a massive 3.5" with an enclosure. Is there a way I can use this with my mSATA? Or if I use a USB splitter, will that cause my mouse or keyboard to lag? Thank you.

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

Why dont you just replace the internal hard drive?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

2.5" drive. DOn't want to spend $150 for 1250 GB more, and it'll be a lot slower.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

mSATA SSD, or just use an external drive. You're not using your headset all the time are you?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

SSDs are too expensive. I just need a lot of storage.

I'm using my headset when I'm playing games, which is nearly all I need the extra storage for.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

What I would look at is an external drive that would mate with your mSATA port. External drives are the way to go with laptops, the internal drives for your laptop or notebook should be used primarily for your OS and other apps that won't clutter or over tax your system, anything heavy like games or apps that require a lot of hard drive space should each have their own dedicated drive.

In the set up I'm building my OS will have a dedicated SSD around 120/200gb should be sufficient. I will also have 3/5 dedicated drives for my other projects, one will be a junk/test drive for files, work, and test products, the other for other dedicated applications and games. From what I've read piling everything onto one drive taxes your drive, so the more hard drives you can plug into the more ease of use your gonna have on your system.

With a lap top, your kinda limited compared to the versatility I and others are building with a full size ATX with mass storage 10,000 rpm V drives, your little lap top is hard pressed to compete with the awesome storage capacity and speed of a mid/full ATX tower, at least it is right now with the lack performance, storage, and outrageous price of SSD's!

In your situation if your set on staying with the limited ability of your laptop, you may want to consider the Seagate Free Agent Go Flex 3.0 USB External Hard Drive. Comes in 500GB to 2TB capacity's. Probably the most future proof external lap top hard drive on the market at the moment. The 500GB model hovers right around 100 bones on Amazon, expect some convenience... But don't expect *** kicking performance.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

This is a decent solution... but I have plans to build a mid/full ATX PC down the road. This is why I'm considering going with an internal 3.5" HDD and an enclosure.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

WD makes a 1TB Notebook drive, you may want to look into upgrading with that until you can build your tower.

Best of luck my friend. :-)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube