• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

UltraNoob123 2 months ago

I am planning on buying the asus rog strix 2060 and i wondered if i can oc the normal gaming version to the same clockspeed as the gaming oc version

Comments Sorted by:

Radox-0 5 Builds 2 points 2 months ago

Generally speaking thanks to boost 3.0 the vanilla strix RTX 2060 will go past the box specs of both the normal and OC version anyways. You can manually dial in an offset however and with the numbers on even the OC model being fairly achieveable compared to what the cards reach with boost 3.0 anyways, should be relatively straight forward.

Now where they may differ is in the absolute manual overlock you can achieve, it that’s down to silicon lottery unless ASUS is binning OC chips.

m52nickerson 1 Build 1 point 2 months ago

Now where they may differ is in the absolute manual overlock you can achieve, it that’s down to silicon lottery unless ASUS is binning OC chips.

Pretty sure ASUS bins it's chips. So the gaming version will more then likely have a higher max overclock.

Radox-0 5 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

Both are Strix models so both are "gaming".

Its a matter of if the OC model has a further binned chip then the Non-OC model or if its done on a BIOS level. Its largely irrelevant however as they will usually land in the same ball park unless the Non-OC gets really crap chips for some reason (and even then they are binned as they are A class chips from Nvidia)

Sorry, used gaming instead of OC.

There is however a reason that ASUS has three Strix versions of the 2060 and they all list different boost clocks.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/Cdkj4D,cHHRsY,shQG3C/

Indeed which is what Mention in my first post. however you can most definitely get the non OC SKU up to the boost clock level of the higher version. That is if Boost 3.0 is not already hitting that speed. Mid 1800mhz is fairly achivable for a A class 2060 with a solid cooler like the strix.

Yes, you could get the lower clocked version up to the OC version's level. My point is that the OC is likely able to go higher yet.

BetrayedPredator 1 point 2 months ago

Most likely the non-OC GPUs are non-binned GPUs from Nvidia, so the overclocking is shot in the knees from day 1.

Then the two variants of OC means the one with higher boost clocks is using the better binned via Asus and should on paper boost higher even with GPU Boost 3.0 only. Boost clocks never show what is actually possible even with GPU Boost 3.0 at fully stock settings.

Most likely the non-OC GPUs are non-binned GPUs from Nvidia, so the overclocking is shot in the knees from day 1.

Indeed, with that said I would be impressed if a Non-A chip was used in a strix series SKU.

Then the two variants of OC means the one with higher boost clocks is using the better binned via Asus and should on paper boost higher even with GPU Boost 3.0 only. Boost clocks never show what is actually possible even with GPU Boost 3.0 at fully stock settings.

Indeed well aware ;) My point boils down to however is the differentiation in the SKU's BIOS or cherry picked cores. Regardless once you get within a stepping of one another the delta in performance outside of synthetics is minimal.

Most likely not. I'm pretty sure ASUS bins its chips, so the gaming GPUs are those that were shown to have a higher stable clock. It is likely the gaming version will have a higher maximum overclock. However nothing is a guarantee.

Thing is the difference is not going to be something you will feel during gaming. You would see a difference in benchmarks, but not in day to day gaming.

BetrayedPredator 2 points 2 months ago

Overclocking can net a difference in games, but it’s only gonna be at best 1-5% once you hit pushing for the last few mhz