• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

mzar720 5 days ago

So I'm just about to Upgrade my Lenovo E570 HDD, currently, I have Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB installed

I can't decide what SSD suitable for my case, I need some suggestions on what I should get it's between Samsung 860 EVO 2TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E2T0B/AM) Or Samsung 970 EVO 1TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7E1T0BW)

Laptop mainly use for Virtualization and IT work, no video editing or even games, Just wondering if there's a big difference, I know the M.2 is newer technology and a lot more expensive but is it worth it in the long run? or is SATA SSD still the way to go

Comments Sorted by:

kschendel 1 Build 2 points 5 days ago

For virtualization you might see some benefit from NVMe. Is 1 TB for sure enough? If yes then I'd go with the 970. If it's marginal I'd go for the 2 TB 860, on the theory that hassling with insufficient space will very quickly waste way more time than the modest NVMe benefit will gain you.

mack_au 4 Builds 1 point 4 days ago

On that machine I wouldn't bother with an NVME drive, you're not going to see much benefit.

Just get the biggest regular Sata M.2 drive you can afford. Which if you need a 2tb drive would be an 860.

Rin_Itoh 1 point 4 days ago

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-970-Evo-NVMe-PCIe-M2-1TB-vs-Samsung-860-Evo-2TB/m494791vsm430706

Here are some general performance numbers between the two. Keep in mind that most of these tests are in synthetics that are built to take advantage of parts that are truly better. For virtualization you might see a benefit from NVMe depending on how many VMs you have running at a time. I can run 3 or so just fine with an MX500 SATA SSD in my laptop. If you need to run like 5 or more then go with NVMe, otherwise the SATA 3 will be fine.