PCPartPicker

• Register

Can someone help me with Aorus differences?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

ICTav8r 5 days ago

I’ve been reading the specs on the Gigabyte website and trying to compare the Z390 Aorus Master vs Aorus Ultra. It looks lke they are pretty similar. Maybe the Master has better audio? What am I missing? I’m scratching my head. I’d like to buy the Master before it’s off sale tonight, but wondering if maybe the Ultra would be fine.

Pairing with 9600k and a 2080 Ti.

Comments Sorted by:

mark5916 1 point 5 days ago

They are similar priced. So, that shouldn't be a problem.

However for the i5-9600K, you can easily go with a cheaper Gigabyte Z390 board, like the Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ELITE or Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro if you don't mind the fancy looking RGB lights of the Master.

ICTav8r submitter 1 point 5 days ago

No, I don't need the RGB per say. I like the price of the Elite and Pro much better, lol! So it could handle an OC'd 9600k just fine?

If I were to put, say, an i7-9700k or i9-9900k in it, would that make you change your mind? I only ask because I could see myself bumping up to a better multi-core CPU in the future, if this simulator I'll be playing ever gets optimized for multi-cores. I'll spend a bit more on a board that could handle one of those CPUs if I need to. Beats having to pull the entire computer apart to replace the board in a couple of years, lol.

Thanks, mark, for your insight!

So it could handle an OC'd 9600k just fine?

It should be able to handle an overclocked i9-9900K as well with a bit of luck. :-P

However the Ultra and Master have definitely the bigger and better heat-sinks over the VRMs.

So, if you opt for an i9-9900K that costs a fortune + overclock, i would spend a bit more on the motherboard.

Now, i would strongly recommend for not getting the Master but instead opt for the Ultra!

And that for two reasons.

The Master uses a 40A power stage (IR3553) and the Ultra uses a 50A power stage (SiC634)

And secondly and most important the Master is using simple doublers (IR3599), but the Ultra does use the more advanced doublers. (ISL6617)

And these doublers are supporting current balancing and this makes them the better doublers.

Actually this is what makes these doublers to be better:

Patented Current Balancing with DCR Current Sensing and Adjustable Gain

Followed by this...

Channel current balance is essential in achieving the thermal advantage of multiphase operation. With good current balance, the power loss is equally dissipated over multiple devices and a greater area.

Sorry it took that long, but i consulted the manual to be sure. :-P

legomaster 7 Builds 1 point 5 days ago

Both the elite and pro models have the same vrm as the ultra

Yes but the ultra has the better VRM heat-sinks!

https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/KeyFeature/1015/images/thermaldesign-s.jpg

1. Multi-Cut Heatsink

Multiple fin-cut on heatsink to improve thermal performance by increasing heat dissipation surface and maintain stylish aesthetic.

2. Direct Touch Heatpipe

Direct Touch Heatpipe helps transfer heat from MOSFET to heatsink, also connects two parts of MOSFET heatsink for the best cooling performance.

3. Thick Thermal Pad

By using 1.5mm thicker thermal pad, it can provide better contact pressure between heatsink and components and faster heat transfer.

The VRM heat-sinks of the Pro are simpler.

https://imagescdn.tweaktown.com/content/8/8/8833_18_gigabyte-z390-aorus-pro-intel-motherboard-review_full.jpg

legomaster 7 Builds 1 point 4 days ago

Yes, I know that the ultra has the better heat sync, but I was just letting you know that they all have the same vrm components.