add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Adding more RAM

jake2917

10 months ago

If this is a dump question I'm sorry but I'm still pretty new to all of this. If I am currently running: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) & I wanted to add more RAM, can I simply purchase the same exact RAM & add it alongside what I have now?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes you can. ;)

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you!

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

:)

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have enough ram slots, then yes

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Sweet thank you & yessir. Got two more slots lookin" to be filled.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, but note you loose a 100% guarantee it will run at rated speeds, however it very likely still will.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Word! I'm not able to even run them at the advertised speed as of right now...lol even after tweaking it in the bios. I believe I have to upgrade my PSU first. I found out my PS is pretty cheap recently & since I got the PC I've added stronger parts. I'm guessing the voltage for the RAM isn't enough right now, but could be wrong. Thanks for the help!

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

RAM draws just about nothing from PSU, try flashing your BIOS to the latest version and doing a manual overclock.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

What is flashing the bios? Is that just resetting it, or updating it? Then a manual overclock, would that just be raising the voltage going to the ram & setting the speed to 3200hz myself? Or are you taking about setting the individual times (I think that was what those were called... I hope lol)?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Flashing the BIOS is updating it, the term is s remnant is the time when the little else other than small chips like the BIOS or RAM were solid state flash memory. A manual overclock would likely though just be setting the speed to 3200, the voltage to 1.35, and likely adjusting the timings to match the stock configuration. All this should be down by the XMP profile, have you tried enabling that at all?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah oddly enough when I first went into the bios to mess with it the XMP profile was already enabled. I can set the speed to 3200 & voltage to 1.35 no problem but when it comes to matching timings to the stock config. I'm not sure what that would be or where I would find that. Is that something I could easily find with a quick google search?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

The average XMP profile is 1.35v, and they don't draw much at all

Most likely its your motherboard or CPU

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

So I don't know a whole lot when it comes to the finer details about my PC yet, but I have a ASUS Prime Z370-P motherboard. All I know is its not the most common board used & its not high end by any means. Do you think there is something about this board that is hindering my RAM speeds? I was actually looking to up my RAM to 32gbs soon so I don't want to do that if my bored is junk..

You also said it could be the CPU. I'm running the i7-8700 (no "k" just to be clear), what exactly would the CPU have to do with it? I honestly have the slightest clue lol like I said, I'm still learning. && thanks in advanced for all the help!

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

You said you can enable XMP and set speed to 3200, does it crash if you do that? There's nothing particularly wrong with the motherboard or CPU, although sometimes you do have bad luck and get a mobo or CPU that for whatever reason won't hit higher memory speeds.

If 3200 doesn't work, can you set it to 3000 or some number close to that?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay so I first noticed the RAM speed when I was looking through my corsair app on my pc. The section that lets you monitor everything. The RAM was sitting at 2100 (or relatively close to that), so knowing I should be getting something closer to 3200 I rebooted & opened bios. In bios the XMP profile was activated already and the speed was set to 3120 (something very close to that). I set the speed at 3200hz hoping the little bump would fix my issue. When I went back to check the speed, with my dumb luck, somehow it had dropped to the 1600 range... In the bios it read as: 3200hz @ 1.350v. Seeing as whatever I did messed it up more I went back & put it back on the original number it was at. Then I turned the XMP profile off & back on just because. Last I checked, the speed is sitting somewhere around 1600hz.

& that's when I came here... lol to see if maybe anybody thought it could be my PSU like I was thinking. On my PSU description it read "Rated up to GTX 1080" & I recently dropped a 1080ti in there and got fancy RAM. Which led me to believe maybe my PSU is **** & isn't actually able to supply the voltage needed to the RAM. When I looked into the PSU I have I found out it is a $30 POS, so everything led me to believe that was the issue..

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube