add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How to improve my 3 year old laptop

SametMazi

11 months ago

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c04881768

This shows all the specs. I don't know what I should do. Next year, I'm going to college and I don't know if this will be sufficient for me as the load times take about 5 minutes. I regularly check for malware - no problems but it's really small. I've considered getting an SSD but I'd rather just get a new one instead. Any tips to improve speeds? Thanks

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 5 points

An SSD will be lightyears faster, it will make it feel brand new again. Depending on the programs you use it may be worth upgrading RAM as well

• 11 months ago
  • 0 points

Its a 2tb HDD I feel like it's a waste to get a 240gb SSD. Doubt I need RAM, I just need to browse the web and light tasks nothing demanding so 8gb should be plenty. Any problems with the CPU?

• 11 months ago
  • 3 points

No, it's the HDD. You can buy a USB 3.0 to SATA III adapter and use it as an external drive if you don't want to waste it. You just need an SSD.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

do you use the optical drive?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I believe it's a 2tb 5400rpm (very slow). Would a slow HDD effect loading up programs? Because loading anything is a pain e.g. chrome takes a good 3 mins and opening file explorer takes 2 or 3 minutes

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

no not the hard drive, the drive you put DVDs in, do you use it?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly, rarely. I believe I've used it once for the power line starter disc

• 11 months ago
  • 3 points

Definitely an SSD, it is hands down the easiest way to improve your computer's responsiveness and general speed.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

SSD is the best thing you can do, 5400rpm drives are crazy slow. My 2012 hp envy is still kicking because of an SSD upgrade. As DaMysteryMan suggested you can use your 2tb hard drive externally. SSD's aren't even all that expensive anymore and it's totally worth it now. The ram situation is odd, your laptop model is 1 x 8 GB configuration which means it's in single channel mode. If you can purchase an identical stick for 2 x 8 GB you will benefit CPU performance due to having a dual channel configuration. A factory reset would also be beneficial. Disabling startup tasks would also help out your slow drive.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

There's a great program called CCleaner, which I use frequently as it helps clean up and clear out any unwanted junk that's taking up space and bogging down my computer. There's even a registry fixing feature in the free version, which I find helpful as well.

Running ccleaner, using the windows defragging tool (built into the computer, which you can search for on the start menu), cleaning out and deleting old programs that aren't used, and perhaps an SSD and RAM upgrade, and you should be good to go!

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I already have CCleaner - great program. I'll try defragging the hard drive thanks

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Guess people didn't understood your joke.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't spam.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube