add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen and ECC?

trylaarsdam

10 months ago

Hello there,

I’m wondering if there are any motherboards for x470 or X370 out there that would reliably support and boot with ECC memory enabled. Looking to use Ryzen for a NAS and rendering UnRaid server.

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Asrock X470 Taichi is supposed to be able to run ECC memory in ECC mode. I've not tried it myself.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

The manual says with Ryzen PRO CPUs (OEM products). Does it still support it with nonOEM Ryzen CPUs?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know. I'm pretty sure I recall seeing a thread somewhere (hardocp maybe?) where someone had demonstrated error correction on some X470 board, and I think it was a Taichi with a non-OEM CPU. I haven't had to demonstrate it for myself, though. (Fortunately! I don't want to have to get into buying and tuning ECC memory.)

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks much! Trying to get out of buying a Xeon just for ECC.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I hear you. My last dev machine was a 2009 Mac Pro running ECC, and it boggles my mind that the vast majority of desktops and workstations are running without ECC just because Intel wanted to segment the market. If it hadn't been such a hassle finding fast ECC memory when I was building my current machine, I would have ECC in it, and I may yet decide to switch down the road.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube