add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First keyboard: Budget mechanical or quality membrane?

benckend

11 months ago

I'm putting together my first build and need a keyboard. I will be gaming, typing, and doing CAD work. I don't like super loud keystrokes or mushy keys. I'd prefer a number pad, any kind of back lighting if possible, and a wrist rest.

I was hoping to find something in the $50 dollar range but I'm okay paying a little more if everyone really thinks it's worth it (maybe ~$80?).

I've read some on the redragon 556 as a budget mechanical keyboard. Thoughts? Is it better than a membrane for $30?

Thanks for the input guys!

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I do think that $30 for a membrane keyboard is pretty overpriced, even if it's one of those mem-chanical ones. The Red Dragon 556 isn't a bad option but I'd suggest getting something from a more mainstream brand or an enthusiast brand. I would suggest the Logitech G610 Orion with Cherry MX Brown or Red (both switches are still quite loud if you bottom out still, but not as bad as MX Blue) or something from Cooler Master Masterkeys' lineup. The Logitech one costs about $50 - $60 though the Cooler Master lineup ranges from $60 to over $100 depending on the model you go for. If you could get an iKBC keyboard such as the iKBC C104, that would be a pretty good deal at around $60 and really nice build quality. Hope you enjoy the suggestions :)

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I'll look into the Logitech and Cooler Master both!

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes get the Redragon k552

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Does the k552 come with brown or red switches? Thanks for the input btw!

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Go mechanical, you won't regret it. I have a Redragon (different model) and I'd vouch for the quality. You can spend a lot for a keyboard but you need to decide if you need to.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input! I'm definitely leaning towards Redragon as they seem very popular. Do you think I'll need a wrist rest? What model do you have?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I use the k551 Vara (it has the number pad where the 552 doesn't). It is a little loud and clicky, but I like it so it works for me. A wrist rest might be a good idea, but that depends on how much typing you do and your position at your desk, etc. I'm inclined to say get a keyboard first, then decide if you need the rest or not. Redragon also has rests for both 104 and 87 key styles for @ $10. Logitech, Corsair, Ducky as well as others all make good keyboards but they're all more expensive (in some cases as much as triple Redragon), where as you can get a decent keyboard and wrist rest for around $60 from Redragon.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I agree with you on the wrist rest. I don't mind waiting and finding out if I want one. Right now I'm really torn between the Redragon K556 with brown switches and the HyperX elite Alloy with Cherry MX browns. Both are the same price.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Im deciding between Cooler master Masterkey mk750 or Red Dragon White keyboard but idk

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube