PCPartPicker

• Register

Deepcool - TESSERACT SW vs Cougar MX330, which is superior?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Zethex 3 days ago

Hello all pcpp users,

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/Zethex/saved/JJRP3C

My current part list. I'm deciding whether or not the Deepcool - TESSERACT SW case is better than the Cougar MX330. Both are extremely similar prices (>$1 difference)

I'm aware that the MX330 has more front panel USB 3.0 ports and the TESSERACT having more case fans pre installed, but it would also be great if someone could give like a list or something of the pros and cons of each. This will be my first build and I'm not too sure what parts of a case make it better than others.

Don't care at all if I lose those red led lights or about the looks of the case, whichever performs better and gives better temps is better for me. Other case suggestions around the price range are welcome too. Thanks

Edit: I'm going with the Cougar MX330-G. Thanks for the info

Comments Sorted by:

Phreakwars 5 Builds 2 points 2 days ago

The MX330 is a better case all around because of the optional AIO mounting points. Front - Up to 240mm / Rear - Up to 120mm / Top - Up to 120mm. While the Deepcool case only offers rear - Up to 120mm. The MX330 also sports a tempered glass window. Those are nice for the simple fact you can't scratch the hell out of them as easy as you could an acrylic window like the Deepcool offers. Acrylic isn't too bad if you aren't prone to having things ding the case every now and again, but alot of cases that utilize it, don't really show too much because of the framing needed to keep the side panel stiff. The deepcool case, if you notice, has this issue.

To digress just a little bit here. Just earlier this week, I gave away a case, that was... for it's time, highly rated and very popular. The Antec 900. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021 It's still a nice case with nice features, but it's not what today's new hardware is trending to. The reason is because of AIO's, RGB, and the big one.. HIDING CABLES. Nobody really uses burners much, so having a case that offers all that 5.25" space, is pretty much a waste of cooling and rgb prettiness space. But some people still use them (I myself do), so that's cool too.

With that being said. I'd go with the MX330. Alternately, the Fractal Design Focus G line, is a way better bargain, though the window is acrylic, not tempered glass. But it DOES show off alot of the inside.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=focus+g&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Here's a sample build I did for a buddy of mine last month: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/mftgXL

Lots of great video reviews out there as well.

Phreakwars 5 Builds 1 point 2 days ago

Need to make a slight correction. the MX330 uses acrylic, the MX330-G uses tempered glass, sorry. Look for the MX330-G.

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 2 days ago

So, out of curiosity, assuming that one is not going to use an AIO, would you still vote for the Cougar, and why?

Phreakwars 5 Builds 1 point 2 days ago

Yes because of the acrylic being a full acrylic not a partial

Phreakwars 5 Builds 2 points 2 days ago

And, the cable management and drive placement are much cleaner. Better air flow.

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 1 day ago

I think the MX330 has a solid PSU shroud, though; no vents on top of the shroud. Is that correct? That would make it a non-starter for me.

Phreakwars 5 Builds 1 point 1 day ago

I'm not 100% certain, but from looking at closeups on various videos of it. It appears there are screws in the back which allow you to remove the shroud. The case seems to be the same frame used in the Sama Maxcool. I haven't ever built in the 330, but I have built in the Maxcool. And if they are in fact the same frame, then yes, the shroud should be removable.