add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen ThreadRipper 1950X

HiroNewf
  • 16 months ago

I want to do a build soon the the Ryzen Threadripper 1950X. And I want some advice on the matter. This is a TR4 CPU and there is only one CPU cooler that is made for this type of CPU. That is the Cooler Master Wraith Ripper. There are other CPU coolers that say they support this type of CPU but idk if they are big enough to cover all of this CPU. Do I need the Cooler Master CPU cooler to get good temps? I dont really want to use this one because it is really big and covers up some of the ram which I dont really want because I am getting some really nice looking ram. Do you think I would be ok with a AIO cooler? Like the NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2? Any response would really help! (I will be using this PC for Gaming, Editing, and maybe streaming in the future. idk if that matters but now you know)

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 4 points

There are other coolers that make full contact with the IHS. You may want to look into the Enermax LiqTech II or Coolermaster 360 RGB TR4 edition.

If a cooler has TR4 in its title, it is optimized for Threadripper.

For gaming, streaming, and editing, you may be better off with a different CPU though. It would be similar in cost to the 9900k but likely slower for much of that workload.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks I will look into the other coolers. And as for a different CPU I prefer Ryzen over Intel. I will looking into the 9900k but I think I will be sticking with the Threadripper 1950x

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean, you really don't need 16 cores for gaming and streaming at the same time...

Like ShawdowGuy said, you're better off with a i9 9900k unless you want rendering to be faster as the i9 9900k will yield better results in gaming.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I did a little bit of research into the i9 9900k vs the 1950X and the i9 is better for 1080p gaming but when you get up to like 1440p or 4k the Threadripper and i9 are about the same. I will be using a 1440p monitor so i think the treadripper would be better.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

So you should be fine with the Threadripper.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

It won't make a huge difference if you aren't going for high refresh rates.

Then again, you could probably get a 2700x and have just as good an experience or better for half the cost.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah The 2700x would probably be enough. what I am trying to do more so here is make it o that my PC will last a while. I have around a 2750$ budget for the PC that I am going to be getting Black Friday this year. What would you recommend if it was your build?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

The 1920x would be a better option, 16 cores is overkill.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I could go with that. I have a 2750$ budget for my PC I guess I could for a 2080ti than instead of the 2080 I had planned on. Or just spend that money elsewhere like on a monitor.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Great idea. At that budget you could easily frump for 4k 60 or 1440p 165 instead, much better option.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I think I will get a 1440p monitor. Really dont need a 16 core CPU. Just because I have the money to get it doesn't mean I should.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

The cores are mostly centered on the TR chips. So long as your cooler covers the middle section and most of the surrounding area you will be fine. If you have the corners exposed when using an AIO it won't be bad, maybe a degree or two difference if that.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I think I can live a degree or two difference.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Noctua and Thermalright both make TR4 specific air coolers, and it wouldn't surprise me if other cooler makers have jumped into the TR4 market in the last year or so.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks I though there was only one cooler made for the TR4 but there are a few.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube