add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

580 recommendations

benckend

6 months ago

I'm looking at building a mid-range computer with the Ryzen 5 2600. I like the idea of getting a 1070 but I don't want to pay over $300 so I'm trying to choose a 580 instead.

What models do you recommend? Thanks!

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-AMD-RX-580/3639vs3923

The Rx 580 will perform more like a GTX 1060 than a 1070. You can find a 1070 on eBay for around $250 USD if that sounds better. The RX 580 on eBay is about $130 USD on average. It is still a solid pick.

You will want to look for a card that has a dual or triple fan configuration, unless you have a SFF case in which you will want a blower style. Pretty much any reputable brand will be good. MSI and Gigabyte are well known for aggressively clocking their cards out of the factory, but EVGA and others aren't far behind and they all have really good cooling. They will all perform about the same so just pick one you can get a good deal on.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help! I heard that buying used GPUs was a bad idea. Especially with the whole mining thing going on. Thoughts?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

GPU's that were used for mining were really only a problem with the Bitcoin craze. People would chuck like 8 GPU's together and OC them to maximize the hash rate. With this most recent Ethereum craze though people figured out that you should probably not run the GPU to death what resulted in them be closer to 6 GPU's that were more spread out so they could breathe better. A lot of people also undervolted the GPU to reduce power draw so a lot of GPU's haven't even been pushed to the max. Buying an RX 400/ 500 or GTX 10 series card should be fine.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube