add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best CPU to buy knowing new tech is releasing mid-2019

benckend

10 months ago

I'm looking at building a mid-level computer for both gaming and 3D CAD work in the next couple months. The two CPUs I am interested in are the Ryzen 5 2600 and the Intel i5 9600K.

What are your thoughts in light of the recent CES and the new tech dropping this year? Should I buy cheaper older stuff and upgrade really soon? I don't want to pay a premium just to have my computer outdated in 6 months.

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

If it isn't outdated within 6-months it will be outdated within a year.

Something better is always just around the corner waiting to outdate any build you might put together at anytime.

The best you can do is build the best you can afford for your specific uses at the time you build.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

I mean, unless its a couple of weeks or a month to wait, like with the RTX 2060, I would wait

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! It is easy to always want the newest tech. I just wasn't sure if 7nm chips would make a big difference in the pc world.

• 10 months ago
  • 3 points

The jump to 14nm from 22nm didn't make much of a difference, same with the 32nm to 22nm jump, the architecture tweaks matter more then the process being used.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah the new AMD lineup has turned a few heads with their new 8 core beating an intel 19-9900K. But given it is AMD doing the testing, there is no reason to not suspect a testing scenario involving new chip on an overclocked setting versus the i9 on a stock clock settings for Intel. Anything is possible to rig / game the system, AMD are hardly going to come out and say "hey guys this is the new 8 core, guess what, it performs worse than the i9"! This is common in the industry and when benchmarks actually surface we will have a good idea. I expect the new AMD 8 core to perhaps improve the Ryzen 7 2700X by approx 10 - 15% which will bring it pretty close to the i9. And if it beats the i9, then it is what it is, it beats it and is a better chip. Newer beating the older.

Anyway, technology always changes, there is always something better than what you will have, and whatever you have now will certainly be beat within a year. Buy now, do not think about the future. You will enjoy the product today, use it for 2 or 3 years, and then perhaps upgrade to the next product. You do not buy a new TV every year, or a new monitor, or a new cell phone do you? Why should buying a new processor be any different?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

True. It's probably better to just jump in. Thanks for the input!

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Kind of true.

I built a FX8350 computer around 4 years ago. Only recently have I started to see this processor required for current games. Yes, it's the minimum spec required in some cases, but still, my pc handles most recent games at decent settings.

£3200 / 4 years ago, can't argue with that. (And, im able to take some parts from this setup for my new 2019 build).

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Go AMD. They are cheaper chips and (mostly) cheaper boards. You do have to worry about faster RAM, but since the prices for DDR4 came back down it isn't as much of a concern. AMD has promised continued support for socket AM4 until 2020 so you should get at least one more generation out of that socket if they change to something else.

Outdated is a weird word, similar to 'Future proof'. There is no such thing as future proof since technology is advancing so rapidly. Tech does technically become outdated as soon as a new generation comes around, but there is a big difference between outdated and unusable. I have been comfortably using my i5-6500 for about 3 years now. It was outdated almost as soon as I bought it, but the performance gains were not significant with Kaby lake and my CPU was still good enough for what I needed it for. Even now I am only upgrading due to classes where I need to run VM's and I am 'upgrading' to X99. So my upgrade is technically outdated as well. I have a secondary rig with an i7-930 on x58 and it still gets up and boogies in games and is good enough for web browsing and fairly heavy multitasking.

Overall either CPU will be a solid choice for your use case. I would go with the Ryzen chip since it seems like it will have better support in the future.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I do like how AMD is keeping the AM4 sockets. Have you used AMD CPUs before?

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Yup! My brother-in-law has a Ryzen 5 1600 based PC that is paired with an RX 470 and it performs really well in every game he throws at it.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Glad to hear it. I wasn't sure how it performed since all the gamers seem to be hardcore intel folks. Appreciate the input.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Intel was and is the king of performance. Single core and in a lot of tasks multi core as well. However, due to this they command a price premium. With the introduction of Ryzen, AMD really had a big push back at Intel in all markets. If you wanted good performance in games you used to go Intel, but now you can go with either.

[comment deleted]
  • 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input. Why did you change your mind and want AMD?

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube