add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Whats a hybrid?

fishfood32
  • 73 months ago

should i get an ssd and a hdd or a ssd and a hybrid? Also whats the performance difference.

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Get a HDD and a separate SSD. SSHD's use SSD caching, which only stores some files on the SSD. It makes those load faster, but doesn't really get you much in terms of read/write speeds.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

They also use software to store frequently accessed files and OS-critical files (such as the ones used for booting) on the SSD part; it isn't just used as a giant cache.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

True, but like mrluckypants said, the SSD's are tiny. It's so much better to get two separate drives

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree completely, except I'd even forego the HDD unless one stores lots of media files or plays tons of games simultaneously.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Depending on the budget of our system and what it is used for, I would most likely recommend separate units. An example is what I'm doing in my build: Kingston V300 120GB SSD for Windows and some often used applications 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD for pictures, videos, music, and all other applications.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks I am going to get ether a crucial 500m 120gb or 240gb ssd and a 2tb hhd.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

You will benefit from an sshd if your a big gamer and use that drive to store you games on along with an ssd main drive for your OS. It's an option worth considering in that situation or in a small case or laptop where you only have room for one drive but need a large storage capacity. Most people won't really have reason to use an sshd as opposed to an ssd and hdd combo though.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

OK well then I don't think I will need one and I will just go with an ssd and a hdd.

[comment deleted]
  • 73 months ago
  • 1 point

That is about the specs of the storage I have so I will keep that. Thanks.

[comment deleted]
  • 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I had a hybrid in my old laptop and the performed much faster than it did when I reinstalled the OS to only the HDD, so I could use Linux on the SSD.

However, I agree that using dedicated SSDs/HDDs is much better than using a hybrid, though I wouldn't even get an HDD unless one has a huge library of media files.

I bought a 1 TB drive two years ago "in case I ever needed the space" but I still haven't ever gone over 250 GB and I use it to dual boot Windows/Linux.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube