add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Advice for First Build (~$1000)

benckend

6 months ago

This is my first venture into the world of PC building and I'd super appreciate any wisdom shared!

My main uses would be for casual gaming and a spectrum of engineering CAD software. While I'm not aiming for the most cutting edge 4K stuff I do want a slightly future proof build that will last for a while.

Goal (less than or right at $1000) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JyTZdX

Advice on GPU and Mobo selection would really be appreciated. This is where I'm the most uncertain. Should I select cheaper options to reduce the price or are the better components worth the investment? I'm also considering going with a 250 GB SSD to save money since most of my friends who casually game are never filling up their 500 GB SSDs. Thought on that?

Last random note: What monitor do you like and why?

Thanks so much for the help!

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's my opinion and thoughts if you are trying to save money:
1) Consider going with a Ryzen 5 2600X, it will help with your CAD work and since it's casual gaming you won't notice a difference from the Intel chip, also you can save more money by using the Ryzen stock cooler.
2) GPU is okay, but if its just for casual stuff you can get away with a 1060.
3) If you get a good deal on the EVGA G3 750W then go for it, but you can also get away with a 650W
4) No opinion on storage
5) No opinion on monitor

Just some thoughts so you can continue researching.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the feedback! I've just started looking into AMD and I'm not near as familiar with them. I'll definitely check out the Ryzen 5 2600X!

Also, why get the Ryzen 5 2600 instead of the Intel i5-8400?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I was mostly looking at it from a value basis, since the stock cooler on the Ryzen series is adequate enough for what you need, and you can use the money from the aftermarket cooler on something else or save that cost entirely. I don't consider the Intel stock cooler all that great but that's just me.

Both chips will suit your needs.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I just put together a budget AMD build and it seems pretty slick. I swapped the 1070 for a 580 (major step down I know) and the price difference is pretty substantial.

Would you mind looking at it?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BWrpnH

Thanks!

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks good, don't see any problems with it, have a good one :)

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! Super appreciate the input!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube