add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How much of an ssd do you realy need.

fishfood32

70 months ago

I am thinking about getting a 120gb ssd is that enough for the os and some games and other programs.

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

For the OS and programs, yes. For games, not so much, since those tend to get pretty big

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

OK so what size do i need for games.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Pretty big.. I'd get something like 500gb. If you don't want to pay that much, there's a bunch of programs that can transfer some games from your SSD to your HDD, so that way you can keep 1 game on your SSD for faster loading times. Keep in mind that for multiplayer games, you'll have to wait for the slowest person to load before the game starts, so there's not much point to keeping those on an SSD

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Considering Titanfall is 50gbs (because of uncompressed audio), it would be hard to recommend anything less than 240gb if planning to store even a couple games.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

How much quicker will it be on a ssd

Also is it worth the extra money for the speed

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

That's up for you to decide. The speed boosts are very impressive for loading times, but it offers little to no benefit in FPS. If you don't mind waiting a little longer for things to load (and a snappy opening and closing of programs), and would instead like "balls-to-the-walls" FPS, then getting a better GPU would be a better choice.

Personally, for a build, if I had at least a 7870/270x/760 in there, I would go with an SSD instead of getting a 7970/280x/770.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

ok one user said there are programs to transfer games between and hard drive and ssd would that work

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd agree with DoHbOyBlAzEd in that 240 is the smallest I'd go if you plan on adding games. But remember you don't have to add ALL of your games to the SS. Just add the ones you play the most that take the longest to load. That's what I do anyway.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

i would suggest if you have titanfall to get a SSD large enough to hold it, my laptop has it on a SSD and i get in before the map starts while my desktop has it on a HDD and if i am lucky i get in 10-20secs after match starts

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

ok thanks is 240 enough

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

plently my 120 has OS, office, visual studios, and a few other programs and i got about 49gb free so 240 should be fine

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube