add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build, I have some questions

Robomb999

11 months ago

This is going to be my first build and I hope you can answer some of my questions.

First, this is going to be used for casual gaming, no overclocking, some video editing, and maybe in the future vr, but I'm not going to worry about that now.

1. Would the Ryzen 2600 be too much? Or would the 1600 be better? Currently the 1600 is around $15 cheaper.

2. would the b350 or b450 mobo be a better choice for my setup?

3. Is there a significant difference in a single fan and duel fan GPU? If i got single fan, would I need to get more case fans? Also, is there a big difference in 3gb and 6gb?

4. Is it worth it going full modular?

5. Any case suggestions? I'd want one with good airflow, mid atx, side window would be nice

I'm trying to save a bit, so if there is anything else you'd like to point out, or changes you think would be better, please let me know! Thanks :D

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $164.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $110.47 @ B&H
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $129.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $71.00 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $47.96 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SC GAMING Video Card $249.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $82.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $857.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-22 19:21 EST-0500

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

Ok, so, a 2600 is only marginally better than a 1600, but at the very small price step up I’d say do the 2600. They literally perform basically the same in gaming, but the 2600 does have small advantages in workstation tasks like video editing (source: userbenchmark). To be honest, the choice between B350 and B450 for you would really depend on price and aesthetics, since the main advantage of B450 is overclocking performance. Since you said you wouldn’t be overclocking, this really isn’t an issue. Single versus dual fan GPUs is really your choice. Sometimes dual fans will have better cooling results, but I’ve had mixed results with my cards. The GPU you have listed is from a good brand, and has plenty of cooling for a 1060. And no, you wouldn’t need more case fans for a single fan, as long as you have an exhaust and intake fan in your case to keep at least some air moving through. Please go 6gb on a 1060. This is just my opinion, but if someone wants to buy a 3gb 1060 I would say just go buy a 1050ti. The performance increase from 3gb to 6gb in modern titles is not at all negligible, and price isn’t a major factor.

IMO, fully modular is worth it, just because of the flexibility it gives you when building your system. You only have to put the cables in that you need, so that reduces clutter and makes cable management way easier. Also, you can get full replacement cables from CableMod or companies that perform the same service to replace ugly included cables with really sweet, good looking cables if you’re into that.

As for cases, my personal favorites are either the P350X from phanteks, the P400 or P400S from phanteks, or if you’re willing to spend a bit, a meshify C from Fractal Design is a really solid case.

Also, the seasonic 520w bronze is a good choice, won’t blow up or catch on fire, and has plenty of wattage for your system, while still being fully modular. And one final note: you can probably find a Toshiba 1tb HDD for less than the WD one, and it’ll perform the same. Just please get 7200rpm unless the only reason for the HDD is archiving footage.

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points
  1. For casual gaming and content creation (video editing, in your case) the 2600 is absolutely fine. Forget about the 1600, $15 is not worth saving for it.

2. B450, all day, everyday. The B350 has tanked now, I wouldn't consider it, even for a first generation Ryzen, unless it was shockingly cheap. The X370, on the other hand, can be considered if you're getting a first generation Ryzen 7, but not the B350, because like the CPU, it's not a few dollars worth saving. Also, do note B350s may require a BIOS update before it will recognise a second generation Ryzen CPU. If it was manufactured before the release of second generation Ryzens, this is necessary, which is just troublesome, because you either need to have a first generation Ryzen at hand, build your system and update it, then switch it out or if you don't, ask AMD to give you a BIOS update chip. This is simply a risk you don't need to take and trouble you can avoid by simply getting a B450.

3. Single and dual fans are identical in performance. Single fans are just slightly warmer and louder because the fans need to turn faster. You won't need more case fans because of this, but one intake and one exhaust minimum is a must. 3 GB and 6 GB, you must be talking about the 1060. Yes, big difference, 3 GB just isn't quite enough for modern games now, get 6 GB, the price difference is minimal. Though I say this, 1060 is not the deal right now, far too expensive. The RX 580 is equivalent to the 1060. It comes in 4 GB and 8 GB, which are more or less the same as the 1060 3 GB and 6 GB respectively. (Don't be fooled by the numbers, they are the same due to compression, optimisation, etc.) Again, don't get the 4 GB, get the 8 GB, minimal price difference, big performance difference. The RX 580 is just cheaper right now, you can strike an 8 GB one for about $190, as opposed to $250 for a 1060 6 GB which you've selected.

4. I guess you mean the PSU. No, it doesn't matter, semi-modular only has the 24-pin ATX cable connected by default, which you must connect anyway. Even a non-modular won't matter, but it's just a lot of cables to tuck away, that's all.

5. Cases I would suggest are Cooler Master's H500, MB500 and MasterBox 5. These are all budget cases, good quality and easy to build in. I know because I've built in the MasterBox 5 and it was just great, the back has plenty of space for cable management, so you're not spending half an hour trying to squash cables in. From what I can see, the H500 and MB500 are the same in this regard, if not better. Right now, MasterBox 5 is the cheapest, MB500 is second and H500 is the most expensive (and arguably also the "best.") I would choose the MB500, because it's only a few dollars more than the MasterBox 5, but it comes with an extra fan (three in total) and all the fans are RGB, whereas MasterBox 5 only comes with regular fans. I eyed the MB500 for a long time, but in the end I bought the MasterBox 5 because it was on sale at almost half the retail price, and when that happens, it's the deal. No way was I paying double for an extra fan, some RGB and a tempered glass side window rather than an acrylic window, despite MB500 still being the better deal, since RGB fans are more expensive, but I was just looking for a case, I didn't need the RGB or the tempered glass, so it was money I could save. An extra Cooler Master basic 120 mm fan can be bought for super cheap too, so there was no reason for me to pass up on the MasterBox 5 really.

Here is what I've done:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $164.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $73.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $96.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $71.00 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card $189.99 @ Amazon
Case Cooler Master - MasterBox MB500 ATX Mid Tower Case $74.49 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $52.78 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $789.11
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $769.11
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-22 20:22 EST-0500
  • Cheaper motherboard. If you're not overclocking, this is enough. Unless the Tomahawk has something you definitely need/want and this DS3H doesn't have it, I would just go cheap and get this one.

• Same performance, cheaper RAM. RAM prices constantly rotating right now, so check prices for the cheapest before purchasing.

• Changed to RX 580 for reasons discussed above.

• Picked out the case I would use.

• Cheaper, but equally as good in quality, PSU.

• Overall, I've picked out a case and still coming out almost $100 cheaper with no compromises to performance at all.

• If I'm totally honest, I would actually pick the 1700, pair it with a decent X370 and overclock it to 3.7 GHz (this can be done with the stock cooler without problems.) It has more cores, which will benefit content creation and give it more longevity than the 2600 would for your purposes. But since you're not overclocking, the speeds are a little lacking, and that's why it's not my recommendation. Granted, this route is more expensive.

• All suggestions are just for consideration.

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points
  1. Ryzen 2600. If you can wait for a few months 3600 will be a major step up.

2. B450

3. I would not get any GPU with less than 8gb of VRAM. VRAM is super important in GPU. Less ram will limit GPU full potential and make it less future proof. This is how Nvidia keep selling overprice GPU by limiting VRAM. Planed obsolescence. The more ram you have means you can skip multiple GPU iteration. More fan the better tho.

4. Depends. If you doing lots of video editing and storage modular is the way to go. Easy removing HD without opening the case is a time saver.

5. I use the old Thermaltake level 10 full tower case which have build in hot swap bay for HD. If you're using a lot of storage I suggest a tower case with lots and lots of 5.25 bays. Than buy hot swap 5.25 case like these

https://www.amazon.com/KKmoon-Tool-Free-Internal-Enclosure-Trayless/dp/B0779MDVBR?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0779MDVBR

or

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132037&Description=5.25%20hot%20swap&cm_re=5.25_hot_swap-_-16-132-037-_-Product

or

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994178&Description=5.25%20hot%20swap&cm_re=5.25_hot_swap-_-17-994-178-_-Product

I prefer a bigger power supply. I've been in the receiving end of not having enough power to power all my devices.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

A note on the 1060 3GB vs 6GB, it's not just a video memory difference, the 6GB also has more processing units. It's a faster card than the 3GB. This is in contrast to the AMD GPU's where the RX 470 4GB and 8GB only differ in video memory.

B450 motherboards tend to be a little more mature than the B350's, and you get StoreMI for free which may or may not matter to you. I'd go 2600 and B450.

Full or semi modular PSU's make the build easier and cleaner. It tends to matter more with the smaller cases, in a mid or full ATX case it's not all that much of a big deal. As for the case, everyone has their favorites it seems. I personally lean towards Fractal Design, a Focus G, Meshify, or Define C would fit nicely.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube