add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Overclocked to much

Manike

11 months ago

So I wanted to overclock my CPU to 3.6Ghz from 3.2 and I also overclocked my RAM from 2400Mhz to 2800Mhz and after I was finished in BIOS I saved and rebooted the computer but the computer did not start though the fans and lights were on. I checked the EZ DEBUG LED on my motherboard and the CPU light was lit indicating there was a problem with the CPU.

I understood that I had overclocked the CPU so I took out the CMOS Battery to reset settings and now I still wanna overclock but what is the limit to overclock? It said 3.6 but that does not seem to work. I don't know if there were problems with the RAM after I overclocked it but it wasn't lit on the DEBUG LED on the motherboard so I think 2800Mhz on the RAM is fine though I wanna double check before I overclock anything again.

My PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Manike/saved/JK3GGX

Thank you.

EDIT: As dumb as I was I didn’t know you had to take up the voltage as well so whats a good overclocking GHz and voltage without to much heat?

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

For you, probably stock voltage and 3.4ish gHz, since you are using the stock cooler. Without a 3rd party solution for cooling, I’m not sure how much farther you can go.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

What about the RAM?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

You're probably asking for silicon lottery if you want 2800mhz on 2400 RAM. Maybe increase the voltage a bit, but don't overdo it (obviously).

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

And also, what fan do you recommend so I can reach even higher like at 4.0GHz if that's somehow possible or just the best outcome?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

For 4 GHz on 1st gen Ryzen, something like dark rock pro 4 or scythe Mugen 5 rev b.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Given your RAM is rated for 2400 MHz only, don't expect 2800 MHz without tweaking (and even then if its really bad silicon). I would manually increase the voltage to the RAM initally, say 1.35v and see how that fares for 2800 MHz, if not dial down to 2666 MHz,

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Try 3.6-3.8 on 1.3-1.35 volts, that’s a safe number. It might run a little on the hotter side though so be careful. As for the RAM make sure to change timings as well as voltage. If your board has an auto RAM overclcok feature use that instead, don’t lower timings also, as that will likely not boot.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "Hardware > Other" to "Hardware > CPUs".

[comment deleted]
  • 11 months ago
  • 2 points

Please don’t try 1.4 volts on stock cooler, that’s a recipie for throttling and an absolute FURNACE. Now if you had a decent third party cooler that might be attainable. But Ryzen starts to lose stability if it passes 70-75 on 1.4 volts, a stock cooler would in no universe be able to handle that.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Well right now im running 3.8GHz on 1.40 volts, do you recommend 1.35 volts instead?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on your temps. Run prime95 and watch your temps. If it peaks above 85 definitely under volt. At 75-80 you may want to consider undervolting, however there is a chance it remains stable. If it blue screens or crashes a ton then under volt.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Are we talking Celsius or Fahrenheit? When I'm not playing any games I get around 35 Celsius (96 F) Shall I try under load?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Idle temps mean absolutely nothing, however can serve as an early warning sign. PC temps are measured in Celsius, it's a little easier to use than Fahrenheit. Try it under load, you can do artificial such as prime95 or real world like intense high FPS gaming.

[comment deleted]
  • 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Feels stable and is stable are different. I messed with my 1500x just now and was able to get 3.925 GHz on 1.4 volts, as it wasn’t quite stable at 3.5-4.0, and I don’t want to overvolt. Temps sat at about 70 under full load with a cryorig m9a. 3.95 felt stable but definitely wasn’t, temps were a little too hot, and it woudl crash under sustained load.

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

wat

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube