add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Copying old hard drive into new hard drive

Impolo

70 months ago

Hello, so right now I have a samsung 2.5" hard drive and I was wondering if I could use sata connecter to connect it to a 3.5" western digital drive and use their acronis true image to copy everything from the 2.5" hard drive (including windows 7) and put it onto the 3.5" hard drive. Will everything work correctly and will the hard drive and windows 7 work? In case you were wondering, I just wanted to move everything from my laptop with a 2.5" hard drive onto a 3.5" hard drive to put into a different computer and completely erase the 2.5" hard drive and install linux on it. But I do want windows on the other computer.

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

Why don't you boot linux from a USB and then connect the two drives and copy the information over that way.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

So I can move the information without having to download drivers?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Since you intend to have change of mobo, you will be required to remove previous drivers and download/install corresponding drivers for the new mobo/system.

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

...wanted to move everything from my laptop with a 2.5" hard drive onto a 3.5" hard drive to put into a different computer

Cloning software is exactly that, it just clones. It is NOT intended to deal with the changes of hardware. Such as in your situation, change of mobos from laptop to a desktop. Recommend a clean install of the operating system.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

So would it not be possible to download drivers on the desktop?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

It would be, but it is always recommended to do a clean install of the OS, really you should just load the OS onto the 3.5" drive and then copy over the personal files over from the 2.5" drive.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

The problem is, though, windows 7 is $100, and my build is already expensive. I thought it would be fair to put windows 7 on my new computer and put linux on my old one, erasing windows 7.

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes that's fine, just activate the new HDD copy of Windows with your old license and then erase the old one, I believe you can activate it one at a time, so even if you get the new system set up without validating it straight away.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube