PCPartPicker

• Register

How is McAfee Total Protection as an antivirus?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

SilmeSule 4 months ago

Title says it all. Saw a deal on it, and wondering if it's a good decision, as I've seen similar deals on other brands. However, none of the other deals were quite as good as this.

Comments Sorted by:

IamNotGoodWithUsernames 2 Builds 3 points 4 months ago

I personally do not like McAfee as it comes pre installed as bloatware or software downloaded on a prebuilt without the users consent, usually a pain to remove as they never seem to disappear. I would never recommend McAfee and if really you want to pay for a mainstream antivirus software, try Norton, its better in almost any way.

That's just my experience, however.

With bias out of the way, McAfee is not a rouge antivirus and does a DECENT job at protecting you from viruses.

zMadButcherz 8 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

McAfee eats more power than an actual virus in my experience. Microsoft security essentials is free and does a good job.

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 2 points 4 months ago

Windows defender is garbage, get malwarebytes as well. I've seen PCs with obvious signs of a virus that according to windows defender are "clean."

zMadButcherz 8 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

Malwarebytes is very good +1 for that.

moemudkip 1 point 4 months ago

I would avoid it. If you want a good paid AV, go with ESET NOD32.

esotken 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

Virus protection software like McAfee is only as good as its database of threats, and in this case, McAfee's database is not special