• No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Sreirualsed 5 months ago

Hi!

So, I have been frauded a couple days ago and my credit card compagny said that it was either a virus or something on my computer or by a payment terminal (sorry, i don't know if this is the term in english).

I don't really install anything suspicious or go on website that could get my pc infected, so I probably got frauded by a payment terminal or something else because my computer never has been infected, but I really want to be sure that my computer is OK. I did scans on Avast and Malwarebytes that returned clean, should I do anything else?

Thank you!!

Comments Sorted by:

Warlock 5 points 5 months ago

If you want to be absolutely sure,
Back up any/all desired/required data, then format the computer and clean install everything.

Contact the credit card company and have them issue a new card with new numbers.

Note: Your system may be clean but one of the store(s) that you shop at could have been hacked.

Sreirualsed submitter 1 point 5 months ago

Thank you!

Yes, I have already contacted the company when I saw it, got a new card and got the money back.

That's what I suspect too since my pc is clean! But I will do the backup and format my computer because I want to be extra sure haha, thank you a lot!!

BetrayedPredator 1 point 5 months ago

Most likely it was a skimmer on a card reader.

I doubt it’s your PC unless you like to store your credit card information in plain text

Yup probably...

I doubt someone is stupid enough to do that (but there are probably people) hahaha

hexgleam 1 point 5 months ago

Did the person on your phone tell you they're from Microsoft tech support too? That guy probably was the scammer

No, no ! It was my credit card company when I called to report the fraud :)

Grebers 1 point 5 months ago

better call the bank right away

It's the first thing I did when I saw that (after a little moment of panic), don't worry, but thank you !

Update for anyone who's interested :

I receive an email from Newegg a few days ago. I think it's from there, the timing and dates seems to fit and considering that my pc wasn't infected and that I rarely buy anything with my credit card in real stores.

I don't think I will buy anything from Newegg again haha...

Newegg understands the importance of protecting our customers' information. We are writing to inform you of a recent incident that involved your order and payment card information. You may have also received a preliminary email notice about this incident on September 19, 2018. If so, this notice is a follow-up to that initial email. On September 18, 2018, we became aware of a potential security incident involving unauthorized code on our website. We removed the code from our site and engaged a leading cybersecurity firm to assist with an investigation and to help secure our network. We also reported the incident to law enforcement and the payment card networks. On October 15, 2018, the investigation determined that the unauthorized code on the site may have collected customers' order and payment card information–including name, address, payment card number, expiration date, and card security code (CVV2)–for certain orders placed on our website where a credit card number was entered while placing the order between August 13, 2018, and September 19, 2018. On October 23, 2018, we confirmed that you placed an order on the site during this period that may have been involved in the incident. We encourage you to closely review your payment card statements for any unauthorized charges and immediately report any such charges to the bank that issued your card. Payment card network rules may reduce or eliminate your liability for unauthorized charges that are timely reported. The phone number to call is usually on the back of your payment card. If you have any questions about this incident, please contact us at 888-724-0243, Monday through Friday, from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time.

Warlock 1 point 4 months ago

They didn't even send me an email, I read about it on the net couple days after breach was announced by net news.
Notified credit card company of hack and had them issue me a new one.

Sreirualsed submitter 1 point 4 months ago

That's strange ! At least you cancelled your card before anything happened

nostalgia2302 1 point 4 months ago

Oh yes, that happened. Both Bank of America and Desjardins cancelled my US and my Canadian credit cards because I used both in Newegg.com and Newegg.ca shortly after that announcement in October. I guess they contact credit card issuers (Visa, Mastercard, Amex, etc) to make them aware of the issue, and the issuers contact the banks.

Chances might be you just lost the data lottery and it got stolen by the thiefts.

Sreirualsed submitter 1 point 4 months ago

I am with Desjardins in Qc ! They never cancelled my credit card, at least I got reimbursed (it was 1500$ US in tickets show... so about 2000$ CAN)

At least, they cancelled yours at the right time !