add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

SSHD a good option?

Littlepeoplepopper

71 months ago

I need some storage for my new PC build. is it better to go with a SSHD hybrid drive or piece out the drives into 1TB HDD and 120GB SDD? I think both will probably run about the same cost wise (~$100). Any thought?

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

also price on the crucial m500 for 256gb is 109 on amazon get that with a 1tb hard drive and you would be set.Great drive not as fast as samsung but still fast have one in my second computer great drive.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome, thanks for the advice! :)

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh wow. Didn't think of that. I guess it's pretty obvious which to get lol.

Thanks!

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Make sure to look at multiple sources for your info when deciding to buy something.

You don't physically install, move, store, or load anything from an SSHD's NAND cache. That's not how an SSHD works. For its purposes, price, and design, 8GB is decent. It's used as a cache, not a storage volume.

The statement that you can't install your OS on the 8GB NAND is misleading, because it was never meant to have anything installed on it in the first place.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to know. Thanks! :)

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't actively decide to store anything on an SSHD's NAND. It's just used for caching. Smart-caching at that.

[comment deleted]
  • 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure of your price range but you can get this 2TB one for 89.00 it was on sale for 79.00 last week

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148834

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube