add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Overclocking Problems

jjho0308

16 months ago

Hello, I am having difficulty overclocking my Ryzen 5 2600. I ran the CPU OC settings at 3.9GHz with 1.35V... temp around 90 degrees.

Also I was setting RAM speed at 3200mHz with 1.36V.

What am I doing wrong and what OC should I be aiming/expecting for CPU? Also, am I using the right speed for RAM?

Thanks.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/jjho0308/saved/RndMZL

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

The Ryzen CPU's are not known for their Overclocking, and an Air cooler really won't cut it. If you want good OCs from a Ryzen, you need a good AIO or a custom loop from EKWB.

If you REALLY want good Overclocking, get an 8600K i5, they can OC to 5 GHz if you have a good Cooler, more if you have a really good custom loop.

the K means unlocked, which lets you overclock as much as you want. There were some people who overclocked an i7 7700K to 7.7 GHz, they used liquid hydrogen as their cooler.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

People get stable overclock all the time with my setting with stock cooler...

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Stable, yes, but not cool. The 2600's stock cooler (Wraith Stealth iirc) is not good. Even a cheap 120mm AIO would do you a huge favour.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Or not

120mm AIOs perform bad on average, and cost more.

Something like a Scythe Mugen would take Rzyen to its max performance

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Something like a Corsair H80 would do the trick

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

And, my MasterLiquid Lite 120 is cooling my 2400G fine, the 2600 doesn't generate drastically more heat because of its 12nm process.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

No one has used a LH2 (liquid hydrogen) to overclock. You suffer from coldbugs using liquid nitrogen, liquid helium has even more issues. LH2 would mean a chipset that suffers from zero cold bugs, and is made out of metals that don't suffer from conductivity changes as it nears absolute zero (LH2 is 20-30K).

Then liquid hydrogen is even colder, dangerous, and expensive. Liquid helium is already super rare for overclocking.

Rzyen can hit its overclocking limit on a decent air cooler, a solid AIO would also take it there, and a custom loop is super excessive. The amount of voltage needed to get an extra 100mhz is crazy.

The record 7700k I could fine is 7.383ghz on liquid helium.

I also took my 8600k to 5.0ghz on a hyper 212 without much issue, would be easy with a delid. I would do benchmark runs at 5.3ghz on an H100i without a delid, which is more silicon lottery than temperature limits.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

OHHH sorry, i meant nitrogen

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I think liquid helium is preferred because it is a superfluid and never turns solid. Liquid hydrogen could be very cold but the potential for cooling is lower. Also it is flammable. Liquid helium is the primary coolant for ultra-cold (0.015 K) D-Wave quantum computers.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

The issue with liquid helium is it takes a team to run and cold bugs.

See der8auer's recent LHe 9900k video, they got so cold USB failed and you had to use PS/2. It also took like 5 guns and a lot of prep to run

Unlike LN2 that you can do by yourself with some basic preparation.

Then you add cost and it gets even more out of the realm on non professionals

You can get solid helium with enough pressure

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Liquids can't be compressed, helium remains in a liquid state unless the temperature reaches absolute zero, which is effectively impossible as it would mean a total lack of energy. Helium is the only element known to do this.

Why don't people use a mercury loop? It would take more powerful pumps and one hell of a chiller, but the thermal conductivity is way better than water. And you won't encounter cold bugs.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.chemicool.com/elements/helium-facts.html

At normal atmospheric pressure helium does not solidify. At 25 atmospheres of pressure helium is a solid at 0.95 K. As the pressure rises, the temperature at which solid helium exists also rises.

Sure you can find a better source but I’m lazy, anything can be a solid given enough pressure.

For your mercury question.

Water can do sub ambient with a chiller easily enough, and for sub zero just add anti freeeze in proper ratios.

While mercury’s thermal conductivity is leagues better than water (8.3w/mk vs 0.6w/mk), it is well a metal. Which means it’ll react with stuff in your loop. Which includes radiators, blocks, fittings, and pumps. Like utterly destroy aluminum and damage copper

Then the health risks from mercury vapor, and it’s heavy so your pump will need to be beefy.

The issue with custom loops is getting rid of heat, not heat transfer. You want better cooling, add more radiators. Or go sub ambient with a chiller and struggle through those issues.

Mercury filled loops (and other metals) is not a new idea and has been tried with gallium mixtures before, but it isn’t cost effective nor worthwhile.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

try lowering the cpu from 3.9 to 3.4 sometimes just lowering it will fix it then if it does work just put it back to 3.9

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I ran mine at 4ghz with the stock cooler, used ryzen master util - moved all cores to 4 but my voltage was 1.425.

I only ran it long enough to test a few benchmarks but I was still in spec for temp staying under the 95C limit amd shows. your results may vary with your air flow/case/fans etc..

huge difference with my case and yours.. that case comes with 1 120mm fan in the rear.. did you install any others? your cpu cooler is way better than my stock but if it's not getting cool air to it - its going to heat soak... so you might have to leave the case open and get some air to it (not ideal if you plan on keeping it OC'd

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube