add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Would this be faster than a 3200 Mhz C14 kit?

Planemaster
  • 20 months ago

So I was looking around the Memory section and came across a C10 2400 MHz 2x8 GB kit (https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/mjZ2FT/corsair-memory-cmd16gx4m2b2400c10). C10 is the lowest I've seen DDR4 go so I did the calculations for true latency and it turns out the the 2400C10 kit has a lower latency than a B-die 3200C14 kit.

Does this translate into it being faster for a Ryzen based system or is there a need for the high speed with 3200C14 memory?

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Does this translate into it being faster for a Ryzen based system or is there a need for the high speed with 3200C14 memory?

No the data fabric that everything communicates through runs at the base data rate of the RAM, so although technically the RAM is faster the CPU is also transferring data slower.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, memory can be overclocked anyways. If you can get 2933 at least on the C10 stuff, it should give a tangible improvement, otherwise just return it and get the C15 RAM.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

The 2400C10 has a latency of 8.33ns and the 3200C14 has a latency of 8.75ns - not that much of a difference in the real world. I'd say the decision comes down to cost. The MT/s difference is quite large so if the cost difference is acceptable to you, go with the 3200C14.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube