add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Would you recommend the Nintendo Switch?

Nullarc77
  • 20 months ago

So I have been interested in getting a switch since I first saw the announcement video about 2 years ago. The portability appeals to me since I am not a big fan of phone games, and I do travel more than the average person. So having that for long car trips or flights would be nice. And then there is the game library. I have been wanting to play BOTW since I first saw the gameplay reveal all the way back in 2014. And then the other first party Nintendo games, like the upcoming Metroid Prime 4 which I am really excited for since Metroid Prime and Super Metroid are tied as one of my favorite games of all time. And I wanted a Wii U to play Mario Kart and Splatoon since the Wii U first released(Before I discovered the Master Race)

But a few things do turn me off.

• Paid online

• Lack of a large game library

• Expensive games

• The cost of accessories

• Lack of gamebackup

• Lack of classic dpad on the joycons

I know that compared to PSN or Xbox Live Gold the paid online is cheap, but it is still paid online. But then again you do get access to a NES library, that could be expanded into SNES, N64, Gameboy, Gameboy Advanced and Gamecube games in the future. I highly doubt Nintendo won't begin to at least add a lot of these games to the virtual shop. For example games like The Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening would be a great game for on the go. Also I think the Switch would be perfect for porting DS/3DS games whether in the form of a physical copy or the virtual shop.

But then there is the Wii U. You can get the Wii U for really cheap on the used market right now. And that does have BOTW, of course the lower quality version which from what I have seen has frequent drops below 24 fps. And it does have games like Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon. But it is now an outdated console(Kinda was when it released). But if I wanted to have friends over I would already have the extra controllers for games like Mario Kart because my family has had a Wii for years. But I would lose the more powerful hardware, the portability and future game support.

So what are your opinions on the switch? Is it a good handheld console for the price of it and the games?

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 4 points

It is amazing imo. I like to play it on TV but it is good in handhold mode too. Definitely better than the PS4 I have. Lots of great first party games (hype for smash bros this december).

Paid online

not a big deal plus it comes with game back up and free NES games. Plus its way cheaper than playstation (a whole family for a year is $20)

Lack of a large game library

again, free NES games with online play. Plus there's still plenty of good games, with more on the way. Mario kart, smash bros (december), Splatoon 2, rocket league, Crash bandicoot, fortnite, warframe, legend of zelda, Lots of major titles.

Expensive games

First party games always have been and always will be pricey, but third party games are cheaper

The cost of accessories

Can't argue with you on this one. They're way more expensive then they should be, but I'll probably have to wind up buying more remotes for smash bros...sniffle...

Lack of gamebackup

again, this comes with online services

Lack of classic dpad on the joycons

I personally couldn't care less. It's not a big deal but I guess I could sort of kind of see why someone wouldn't like it, but I think its a pretty petty reason not to buy a console.

Wii U is very fun but pretty much every good Nintendo series is either on the Switch or has been announced for Switch, so imo its best just to get the Switch. You don't have to buy a bunch of stuff all at once. You could buy the console and one game, a couple weeks later get another game, and so on. Build up that library slowly. Thats my take anyways

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah the online doesn't put me off nearly as much as the xbox one or ps4, And the free games that come with it that will likely be expanded on does kinda make it worth it.

When it comes to the game backup I was mainly talking about local backup to like a USB or Micro SD. I don't want my game backups strictly in the cloud.

When it comes to the dpad that is really the only way to play the retro games. Using an analog stick just sucks for that.

Yeah I will likely pick it up once I have the money, And when there is more news about Metroid Prime 4. That is really the game I want to play more then any other on the Switch.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

There is a d-pad but it's formatted more like the ABXY buttons than a tradition Dpad, you won't have to use a thumb stick (I'm not convinced that you even can use a thumbstick)

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

The online doesn't bother me at all tbh. Me and My friends pay for a family account and put $5 each. That pays for an entire year.

• 20 months ago
  • 4 points

I got mine like three/four weeks after it dropped, and I absolutely love it.

• The paid online is kind of a bummer, but I’m more open to paying $20 for a year than I am for paying $60. Not to mention, all the free NES games are an awesome bonus, and the cloud storage is sweet because I may send my Switch in for repairs. (They usually wipe the console’s internal storage after replacing parts.)
  • The game library is somewhat scarce at the moment, but we got a LOT of games being released/announced for the next year or so.
  • Games are almost always $60 nowadays except for PC at this point, kind of a bummer but every game I’ve paid retail for has been worth it.
  • This one I can get behind. Paying $70 for a controller, albeit a very good controller, is kind of a steep push. Not to mention, one Joy-Con is like $50 and they’re completely underwhelming if you can only use one.
  • Game backup is now available with Switch Online, as far as I know.
  • I can agree with this but I never use the D-Pad so I can’t really comment on if it’s a big deal or not, not to mention, I use the Pro Controller in basically every game now and it has a standard D-Pad.

Overall, I really like it and I use it pretty often, especially now that the Online service is dropping tonight. I think you would probably like it but I’m not you, so I’m not completely sure.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah $20 a year is a lot more reasonable reasonable. Especially since you get access to the kinda Netflix of Nintendo games.

Yeah future games do look good. Like Smash Bros and Metroid Prime 4.

When it comes to game prices especially for Nintendo, has always stayed high. I mean 6 months after most games launch they are down to $30-$40. But BOTW is still $60 over a year later.

The accessory price are insane. I understand a lot more tech goes into the joycons then a Dualshock 4 or Xbox One controller, but it is still expensive.

I was more speaking of local game backup. Why can't you backup you files to a USB or Microsd. That would be awesome.

I love the dpad. I love retro games and playing a 2d platformer with anything but the dpad just doesn't feel good.

Yeah I am highly considering getting this a few months. But I will see. I am mainly waiting for more new about Metroid Prime 4 and more retro games.

• 20 months ago
  • 3 points

I love the Switch, I would highly recommend it. I have been playing Breath of the Wild with my GF for almost an entire year now, and it raised the bar for me with open world games (though it's not perfect). Definitely buy the Expansion Pass early; if not before you start the game, then soon after.

I am really excited for since Metroid Prime and Super Metroid are tied as one of my favorite games of all time.

Good taste ;)

Your concerns are all pretty valid, except for the save backups which is covered already by others (but I know you said you wanted them locally too). There's a notable cost to consider in getting a Switch. Way cheaper than a gaming PC up front, but more expensive to start building a library. Don't get a Wii U. It will feel like ****. It was already clunky in 2012 lol, and the Switch is sleek and snappy by comparison. If BotW was your ONLY interest... I still wouldn't recommend getting a Wii U, lol, I'd say buy a Wii U copy of the game and then install CEMU and emulate it on your PC instead.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah Super Metroid was the second SNES game I ever played and I loved it. A little bit later I picked up a Game Cube Controller, and a memory card just so I could play prime(But now I can just run it on an emulator)

Honestly if it was just about BOTW I would probably run it on CEMU. But there is the portability aspect which I like. Since I only have my phone to play games. Plus I think the hardware in the switch is actually not bad. The nVidia shield uses the same hardware for $100 less but that doesn't have nearly as good games, nor the portability. Although I do think they should have used the Tegra X2, But I can kinda understand why they used the X1.

One thing I forgot to mention in the OP is the fact that I have big hands. I have seen and held the Switch before and if I put it in table mode with one joycon at the tip of my finger, the other joycon barely goes past my wrist. I haven't played it for prolonged periods of time so I am wondering if you think that it may be uncomfortable because of my large hands after a few hours. Or do you find it uncomfortable in tablet mode after a few hours?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Handheld mode can get uncomfortable yeah, but no more than any handheld can imo. I've played it for several hours in bed before. Idk if you ever had a 3DS or Gameboy but imo those would get mildly uncomfortable for prolonged use, too. I also find that I don't play as well in handheld mode lol.

I think it would have been very cool had they used the Tegra X2 as well, and I wonder what kind of boost we would have seen, whether in performance or in battery life. But it would have probably pushed the cost too high if I were guessing. Part of me is still anticipating an upgraded model down the road.

Super Metroid is on my shortlist of best SNES games. One of my favorites.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I think it would have been very cool had they used the Tegra X2 as well, and I wonder what kind of boost we would have seen, whether in performance or in battery life. But it would have probably pushed the cost too high if I were guessing. Part of me is still anticipating an upgraded model down the road.

Yeah Nintendo found something that they are good at and will likely stick with it. I highly suspect we will see an upgraded version of the switch with a better CPU/GPU and a higher resolution display. Maybe even a Tegra 3.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Go for it. Especially if you already have a PC at home

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I already have a PC that I use for gaming. Really considering this mainly because of the exclusives and because I travel a lot and there are a few upcoming trips that I would like to have it for. I am mainly waiting for new about Metroid Prime 4 before I decide for sure.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Well then, you can't go wrong with all the good exclusives. The eShop also has plenty of deals on a consistent basis

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to know.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Paid online

$20/year isn't bad at all, and it doesn't feel integral to owning the console. You still get your games and great local multiplayer. The ability to back up saves is included with the online, which is a bit annoying.

Lack of a large game library

This was true at the start. But now... just look at the list. Besides the new first party titles, there are remakes like Okami and Final Fantasy, third party AAA titles like Skyrim and Civilization VI, high profile indie games, constant releases on the EShop.... While it isn't the largest game library, it is developing well and there are a lot of excellent games both out now and announced.

Expensive games and cost of accessories

RIP wallet. Fortunately you can get some games used, and some EShop games on sale, but $70 controllers and whatnot definitely hurts. The good news here is that the Switch Pro controller is excellent and works with PC.

Lack of classic dpad on joycons

I can't say as I've missed it for most titles, but when it happens I do get annoyed. On the flip side, the JoyCons are easy to take off and use as two separate controllers. Impromptu local multiplayer on the go is AMAZING.

Is it a good handheld console?

It's a bit bulky and the plastic screen, while great for durability, pretty much necessitates a glass screen protector to not feel awful and attract scratches. The battery life is nothing to get excited over. Charging is easy thanks to USB-C. Being able to start local multiplayer sessions without carrying extra accessories is amazing. The screen is decently bright and looks detailed enough for a 720p display, although it isn't particularly award winning; it pales in comparison to tablets in the same price range, although substantially more durable. Compared to a 3DS or PS Vita, it is substantially larger. It is more like hauling a good sized tablet than the pocketable 3DS (although I'll confess I've carried the Switch in a pocket before). If you want a compact handheld with all-day battery life, the Switch will not impress. If you want to play console games on the go and don't mind the added bulk, you can't ask for much more. The closest competitor would be a high grade Android tablet or phone using emulators, and that is more finicky, less durable, and harder to control (both due to emulator limitations for controllers and actually trying to hold the tablet+controller in some manner).

for the price of it and the games

Let's go back to the Android device comparison. You might already have a good smartphone, but for the argument lets assume a standalone device for this, such as a Galaxy Tab S4. Nice tablet, gorgeous screen, slightly outdated processor by mobile standards. It is also $650 base plus accessories. Emulation is cheaper and top games on Android are also cheaper. For the same price, you could have a Switch bundle, handful of major games, some indie or EShop titles, and a Pro controller, and then you can add costs for accessories like you would for the Tab. The Tab has more non-gaming use. For gaming though, there is a significant difference in the games you are playing and the overall experience. There are specialized tablets built for this (the Razor Edge, or the any number of cheaper devices with built in or easy addition of physical gaming controls), but my opinion remains that the Switch's experience is far different and more polished than these competing solutions.

Section TL;DR: Is it a worthy handheld console? Yes.

But then there is the Wii U.

More definitive versions of Wii U titles are being released for the Switch, like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. It isn't portable. You save a fair chunk of money and gain some exclusives that haven't been ported yet (Wonderful 101, for example), but you really lose out on what makes the Switch so great.

I've loved the Switch since I heard the first rumours of the NX. I didn't own a Wii U but knew someone who did; I've also owned and played almost every Nintendo console released. I've also played and/or own multiple other non-Nintendo consoles. I barely touched any of them since I built my current PC (i5-4670k and Radeon 7950 Boost).

The Switch is pretty awesome. The sheer portability of it combined with the essentially no-compromise gaming experience made me buy a console again. Whether it is solving puzzles in Snipperclips with my non-video-gaming mother, or beating a shrine in BOTW on my lunch break, the Switch just keeps proving to me that it was worth the investment.

FINAL TL;DR: Switch good. Buy.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. But I was not considering an android tablet at all. Too limited as far as game selection and controls. But good to know. If I get one(Which now I am highly considering) I will probably try it without the online for a while and see how I get along.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

The Android tablet tangent was more for a value comparison than a suggestion, and I state that the Switch is a nicer gaming experience.

without the online

I've literally never used any feature that would require online. Maybe when Smash hits and I feel like getting beaten up by strangers, haha!

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

If you travel alot or are away from home quite a bit. Its definitely a nice investment. That being said, I rarely play my switch at home unless its Mariokarts or something fun MP type games.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

******* PAID ONLINE?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah. $20 for a year. Or $35 for a family plan. The family plan gets you online for a year on 8 switch accounts. And with the service you get free cloud backups and access to some classic NES games. Still tho. Paid online. At least they aren't as insane as Sony and Microsoft.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

oh. 20 bucks a year isn't bad. I thought you meant 20 bucks a month and I was like "Nintendo is turning into Sony!"

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah if they start throwing more games into it, then it may end up being 95% worth it. I say 95% because paying for online is still bs.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

I agree. Playing online should be free cough cough CONSOLES cough cough.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

At least Nintendo has listened to the community. Around the time the Switch launched it was rumored that the online would have been $35 for a year. Whether or not they were planning the family plan back then is unknown but if they were originally planning on making it $35 a months I am glad they changed it. And at least they are adding a lot of features to help make it a better value.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Random addition to make but last night I was playing Fortnite on my Switch, and it doesn't require Nintendo Online (which I don't have yet). Seems that Nintendo's games are all going to require it, and for third parties it is going to be a case-by-case basis.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 20 months ago
  • 3 points

BoTW gets boring in a month, and the game is S O E A S Y that you literally force yourself to not beat it. I literally barely played for about 1-2 months and had so many hearts and my stamina wheel was huge, and also I had the maxed out Ancient armor AND all of the strongest/hardest to get weapons in the game such as the Battle Axe ++ and the Master Sword. I completed nearly every challenge and killed all of the Divine Beasts, and the game just went downhill from there.

If I can play a game for a month and not get bored with it, that sounds like a pretty good investment TBH.

Also aren't there different difficulties in the game? I don't know but if there is then you could try that for added challenge.

EVERY OTHER GAME I HAVE IS SO BORING.

What other games do you have for it?

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

There's a Master Mode for the game. It makes the enemies harder to kill, although I imagine it still isn't too hard once you get far in. I hear the beginning of the game is difficult on Master Mode.

Breath of the Wild is not a very challenging game, this is true. If you don't enjoy exploration in games, you're going to find it boring. But, I'd say the same about Skyrim. Skyrim is easy AF, unless you accidentally run up on an enemy you're just too low a level to effectively fight. Like at the beginning of the game, a frost troll is a pretty hard fight. But so is a Lynel in BotW.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

True. Most games of the genre aren't extremely difficult. I beat Wind Waker and died at most 5 times. Probably less. It all comes down to what kind of games you like. Plus you can always do challenges to make the game harder like beating it with the minimum hearts possible.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep. Lots of people do these self-imposed challenges in BotW too like, no eating in combat, no fast traveling, etc.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

You should sell it and your Switch to Nullarc. Give him a discount since it's used. Everybody wins.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube