add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking into an H100i Pro for my Ryzen 1700 system. Got some questions before I buy.

MethosTR
  • 20 months ago

First of all my specs are the following:

Ryzen 1700 at stock atm because of temps
16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 RAM
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
ASUS Crosshair VI Hero mobo
NZXT S340 Elite case
EVGA Supernova 850 P2 (I know it's overkill, it's a carry over from previous build).

I want to OC my 1700 to at least 3.85-3.9Ghz to give it a boost in longevity for until Zen 2 hits, but I'm currently using the stock cooler and having serious temperature problems thanks to 2 dead case fans and very high ambient temps. More on the case fan situation below...

So I'm looking at buying the Corsair H100i Pro, as I'm unsure whether the H115i Pro will fit in my case and I'm not really wanting to do air cooling this time around. Also in conjunction with the H100i Pro I'm considering buying two Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM fans to use as the radiator fans while using the included Corsair ML120 fans in an exhaust configuration on the top and rear of my case.

I'm also unsure whether it's more beneficial to have the Noctua fans installed as push or pull on the H100i Pro radiator. Would there be a significant difference in temps? Increasing airflow to the rest of the case as much as I can is another priority of mine, so for this which config would provide more benefit for this?

Just want to state that overall noise is not a problem as I constantly have multiple fans running in my room year-round and I wear noise canceling headphones most of the time.

Last question is how janky is the AM4 clip mounting mechanism? I've seen pictures of this cooler with the screws for its mounting bracket bowed out when secured. Is this secure enough for the long term or...?

Thanks.

Edit: Went ahead with my purchases. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Well I bought the h115i Pro to go along with a 2700x and I used the AM4 mounting hardware. I didn't think it was janky or weak at all. If some part of the mounting mechanism is going to fail, It shouldn't be on Corsair's end.

The only thing I've ever done with these Corsair AIO coolers is replaced the fans with the ML120 or ML140 fans. The newer Pro series come with a lower RPM version of the ML120 or ML140 fans so these should hold up for years.

I'm in the same boat as you because I mess with my systems a lot so the AIO coolers have always been easier to work with. That and I mount a fan on my VRM heatsinks when I overclock a system. Now if I'm going to build a system for someone else then I'd get a tower cooler because there is less that can go wrong with those.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your answer. I'm planning on using the Noctua fans as the intake fans which will be attached to the radiator while using the included ML120 fans in an exhaust configuration mounted to the top and rear. My rationale for that is from what I've read, the ML120 fans are a bit better suited for airflow than for static pressure.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

The 1700 Stock cooler is the Stealth, isn't it? It's not hard to find a better air cooler, you don't need to run liquid unless you really want to for other reasons.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I would prefer to run liquid. Reason being is that I want to.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Fair enough.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand why you suggested an air cooler, since they perform pretty well... but I'd just prefer to do liquid from here on out.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

You should probably go with a good air cooler, like the NH-D15 (if it fits), or the Hyper 212 Evo if you want to save some money.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

NH-D15 does not fit and the Hyper 212 Evo is just meh for me. I just don't want a huge bulky tower cooler anymore, I had that in my old rig and it was a nightmare to work with for me. I simply want to switch to liquid.

I'm pretty much committed to my choice of cooler, so I am more interested in input on my questions about fan choices and airflow configurations.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

in that case, use EK Vardar fans, they are basically made for radiators

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Couldn't track any down that would ship quickly. I don't know how long EKWB itself takes to ship products to west coast US.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube