add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

what kind of issues would using a cheap gigabyte a320 board with an 1800X cause?

PhantomStorm
  • 20 months ago

a friend of mine recently built a pc with a 35 dollar a320 board. I would have told him to get something better, but he bought it on his own. I'm wondering if that could cause some issues down the road. He isn't overclocking at all so I'm not sure how much the vrms would impact his setup, but I could be wrong.

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 3 points

Depends on the A320 not all are capable of handling the higher power draw and will throttle for thermal temps or over spec power draw.

But unless you are hard throttling the board that will only drop you to stock clocks from boost so it would still outperform a R7 1700 if you were using more then two threads.

But that is worst case really so long as it is halfway decent you would have no issues. Ryzens stock power gating is great for keeping power draw down under load.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

ok. I ask because the friend that bought that motherboard has been having random crashes and times where his system will run extremely slow. He has a 64gb ssd os drive and a 1.5tb hdd that has a couple cautions in crystaldiskinfo, but it looked like minor issues. Could that be the source of the problem?

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Is his BIOS up to date? and does he have OK airflow through the case?

The slowdowns are likely the hard drive, especially if it's older and/or has had issues. I wouldn't normally expect crashes from HDD problems, though, that sounds more like bios or thermal problems.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I am going to send him some drivers here soon, but I'm not sure if his bios is up to date. I would be surprised if it is, because the problems I see almost look like hard drive issues but the whole system is sometimes crashing.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

He has a 64gb ssd os drive and a 1.5tb hdd that has a couple cautions in crystaldiskinfo, but it looked like minor issues. Could that be the source of the problem?

Most likely.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

The slowdowns might be due to the pc needing to access the HDD

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm going to check his pc here soon for more hdd issues, but I am not sure if that's the case. I think he's running most of his stuff on a 64gb ssd, but the 1.5tb hdd could be a problem, but I'm not sure if it's 'whole system slows down to a standstill and frequently crashes' slow, even if it is a 5,900rpm drive.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube