add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Decent Laptop ($500 - $1,500 Range) : Any Recommendations?

JSSnyder
  • 20 months ago

I recently hurt myself and will most likely need spinal surgery, so I won't be able to get around as easily or really sit in the current chair I have and probably won't be home for awhile. That and I've been meaning to get one for some time now. Would like to get a decent laptop to be more of an "All Around" type laptop if anything, but I have heard getting a gaming type laptop would last longer. I'd most or less play games like WoW, Runescape, Elder Scrolls Oblivion, LEGO games (with sister), and stuff like Warhammer: Vermintide 2. Maybe even do some Netflix and Shrudder, but no edited type stuff. Don't need anything high end strong. I do have a pretty decent Desktop which I had help building with assistance from people within the PCPartPicker Forums (thank you again guys), so it doesn't have to be top notch or anything. Doesn't need to have large amounts of memory either, will buy an external harddrive later in the year.

I've seen some ACER and MSI laptops under or just breaking over $1,000, but I'd like to her some opinions on other brands. Dell I've kind of always had issues with.

Any Recommendations?

• Activity: Minor Gaming & Personal use
  • Display Size: Any
  • Price Range: $500 - $1,000 ($1,500 only if I really have to)

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

See this guy's post on the Acer Aspire 7, It's $150 off, but expires in 12 hours, so be quick if want it. It has amazing specs is one of the best you can get for the price.

Here's his post: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/292819-is-your-budget-around-1000-1200-for-a-gaming-laptop-look-no-further

Here's the laptop: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834316435

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

That unit only has the SSD from the box, so he might want to look into installing an HDD.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Storage *Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $43.29 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $43.29
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-16 22:32 EDT-0400
  • 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I’d probably look into any of these. All I7 8th gen powered, 16GB DDR4, GTX 1060 6GB, but these have a decent sized SSD and a supplementary HDD (which some of the units lack)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100157995%20601303722%20601205664%20601206490%20601300077%20600136700%20600457669%20601296067&LeftPriceRange=750%201510

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I thank you guys from some of the recommendations. Question though, when you look at laptops, what's one of the main things you really look for? It's more out of curiosity. I would imagine display size isn't an issue and I know laptops do technically have less of a life span than desktops. I have heard that gaming laptops at least handle better in the end "supposedly".

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Screen size: 15" may be too small for some, 17" too big. Look fora size that'll suit you

• Storage: some come with just an SSD (faster, but less space), some come with a HDD (slow, but more space) and some'll come with both (your best option)

The rest (CPU/GPU/RAM) shouldn't matter too much, but if you find GPU or CPU performance to be lacking, you'll have to get another unit (mobile CPUs and GPUs are usually in-board). RAM is easy to upgrade, though (just buy more SODIMM banks)

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

In my opinion, most gaming laptops are best used as compact desktop replacements

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154945 this looks like a good deal while it is still on sale

• 20 months ago
  • 0 points

hp omen 15 jus the best imo

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube