add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Linux on school chromebook

XemptPlays
  • 21 months ago

Have a school chromebook, Lenovo N23 Yoga, I know most schools have these locked down to enforce re-enrolment. I tried to install Linux once but i got stuck on the enrolment. I'm pretty cool with the LAN Admin (because of co op) and he said "I would be amazed if you got it to work but if i ever saw it I would have to power wash it." I was wondering if there is a way to get it to work I would appreciate it.

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 3 points

I assume OP is talking about some sort of network provisioning, not the process of getting linux to work on the chromebook. We'd have to know exactly what the school is using for LAN provisioning / enrollment to begin to answer that question.

• 20 months ago
  • 3 points

I actually have a school chromebook. I was able to bypass the forced enrollment pretty easily. What I did was simply remove the battery and then hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then after that plug the battery back in and boot into dev mode.

It typically took me 2-3 tries from the 4 chromebooks I did this too. Now, you will have to change the serial number in crosh because if you don't it will just re enroll itself after a reboot.

https://support.ctl.net/hc/en-us/articles/115006019887-Change-the-Serial-Number-on-a-Chromebook

Disclaimer: I honestly wouldn't recommend this unless you have a relaxed school. My school never checks our chromebooks until the end of the year, but by that point I have already taken my personal account off the chromebook and booted back into safemode.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

wow, i swear i tried this but it didn't work, what model is your chromebook?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

It's the Dell Chromebook 11. If I find anything on your specific model I will let you know.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I really don't need it since I will be getting a computer in the next month(finally got a ******* job). But at least other people will know.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah that's pretty cool. Hope the new computer works out well.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not familiar with chrombooks but does it have a BIOS? If so, does it allow booting from a usb drive?

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Kind of. It has a thing called Developer Mode, and that allows you to change settings and dual boot. To access it, you have to power wash the chrome book and press Crtl + D(x2) and it will put you in Developer mode, but the admins are smarter than this and block it, once the chrome book is power washed it deletes all content but then there is the problem to get into chrome OS now will need re-enrolment and only the admins can do that.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

well do you think it would be possible to save a complete backup of it, then boot off a windows 10 installer usb drive, then completely wipe the drive in the chromebook, then just set up linux that way?

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

You can't run any bootable usb without devoloper mode, and I'm pretty sure you can't remove chromeOS off a chromebook(not 100% sure) but I know you can dual boot.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh. I wouldn't know. I don't have much knowledge about them :P

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Live USB?

• 21 months ago
  • 0 points

if you googled it, it would take 2.5 seconds to find this.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

What I want to know is how to get past re-enrolment, not how to install linux

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube