add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2700x and AVX?

Dtwenty
  • 19 months ago

Was chatting with randoms online and heard someone say something about 2700x and not knowing how long for gaming it can last.

"What will eventually take it down will be games using avx like instructions that are beyond the 2700x's capabilities."

As someone who knows nothing about AVX and also happens to game on a 2700x, is this damn thing I just bought gonna need an upgrade before my GPU? Does anyone know what they mean?

Comments

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes. Google is your friend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Vector_Extensions

And they are probably wrong. Those instructions are very CPU intensive and almost all CPU from the last few generations will auto downclock to stock clocks when they are in use, as well as all major game engines are built around a console CPU as a minimum spec.

For a Gaming specific workload they are unnecessary and can very easily do more harm then good.

Hint. Look at the supported CPU listing and You will find the Zen architectures

Now will at some point an instruction set change render Zen based CPU irrelevant sure just like they always do but also remember Everything that is out now will be facing the same issue at the same time.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok then, so I should be good for a while then.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Ryzen already does AVX-256. No rational game engine designer is going to require AVX-512 without any sort of fallback, not for some number of years anyway; not unless they are deliberately trying to minimize their target audience.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I see, no worries then i guess. Thanks

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Not even a concern!

I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that there are ANY games leveraging AVX instructions at this time, despite the fact they have been around now for like 7 years.

Pentiums without any AVX capability are running games without much issue, other than they are getting a bit thin on the core count part of the equation.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds good then!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube