add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Id like to know what happened.

Dtwenty
  • 21 months ago

I live in Florida so storms are nothing new.

Today a "small" one ran by and while it was making a little noise outside I was on my new PC i just built, out of nowhere my screen goes black, i can still hear sound from the speakers though and my PC fans just rev up to the max, like super loud!

This thing sounded like it was about to blow... I shut it down the only way it would cause the case power button would not respond, so off switch on the PSU. Now, apparently when this tiny "bump" happened another T.V flicked and the kitchen lights flicked and then my PC happened, not in any order but you see, things like this have happened before but not the PC.

When a storm passes ill just play the safe card next time, but what happened? Was that a surge that overloaded the PSU causing extra voltage to get stuck or some s&*#? I feel like I should try to figure out what exactly happened to my comp so I know, you know?

Rig is fine btw :)

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

A lightning strike probably occurred. If it was close, your screen went out from electromagnetic pulse, while the PSU was also affected by same. If it was further, then the power surge caused by lightning caused all the PC troubles.

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm not sure if the electromagnetic field spike caused by lightening is enough to induce a large enough current to cause problems in a PC unless the lightning was in such close proximity that it nearly touched the case. But, this is more of an assumption rather than something I have evidence to support.

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

Agreed. For a EM field to create the sort of MOBO issues the OP is reporting that strike would have to be right on top of it. Much more likely that the cause of this came in via the power cord... or the ether net port for that matter.

Way back in the day I fried a MOBO when lighting hit the phone lines at the end of my block. Computer was on a good surge protector, but the phone line was not running through it (silly me). The MOBO had scorch marks on it near the onboard modem...

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, im on a x470 wifi but good to know :)

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Anything I should look for PC wise, so far everything seems the same, so far..

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I suggest watching for scorch marks or noises that weren't there before.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

K, ty.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

are you using a surge protector?

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, cheap though.

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, sounds like you were very lucky. If the rig is fine per your original post. I would say the surge protector did its job... barely. Major power disruptions like a near by lighting strike can cause all sorts of issues. Some of those fluctuations made it past the surge protector, but it was not bad enough to fry your stuff.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Now looking into a Sinewave UPS System after this, thanks.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Surge protectors also wear out over time, and cheap ones generally have far less protection to begin with. While somewhat rare, ethernet cables can also carry surges.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like either your PSU, MoBo, or GPU went down with the surge. I'd start with those, although they might be a ***** to test.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

what would you do other then game to test a GPU, I do recall my card sounding loud last night..

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

You can run a benchmark on it or a stress test through a program like Unigine Superposition.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanx.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

You may want to get a good UPS, that will not only serve as a surge protector, but will also allow you to save your work/game and shut down safely in the event of a power outage. Given your location and storms being frequent, I'd bet power flickers are normal. Something like this would be a good pick, it should have enough juice to power your computer long enough to save/shut down, and is pure sine wave which is better for compatibility with all PSUs.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, yea over $1900 on this tower alone, I have never even seen these UPS before. Looking into them now, Thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube