add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
ToxicTermite
  • 18 months ago

Well to start off I guess I should say this will be my second build, so I like to think I have a lot more PC knowledge than I did 3 Years ago when I made my first build, with that said I know there is a lot I have to learn which is why I'm here asking for some help.

As I said already my last build was 3 years ago so it is due time for an upgrade, games are getting much to demanding for this old girl it seems. I'm fresh outta high school and I'm taking a year off and working full time, perfect time to get this new build going as I have plenty of disposable income.

I have a couple of goals in mind for this build first and foremost, I wanna keep the price before peripherals below $4000.

• I wanna keep a gorgeous aesthetic while not hurting performance to much so I have a couple of guidelines for myself. (still open to alternative suggestions)

• 4 ram sticks is a must, I am aware that 2 sticks are much better for performance, but I'm not too worried about the small hit I'll take going for 4. There's something about four sticks that just gets me goin. :))) (no pun intended)

• Ensourced cables are absolutely stunning and their quality is top of the line. I would not want any other brand sitting in a build this expensive.

• The monitor is very subject to change, I'm not too knowledgeable in monitors, but I know I want a thin bezel ultrawide with the best picture I can get for under $800, preferably much cheaper. from what I've read the monitor I have in the build seems to have pretty decent specs while still holding a good price. If anybody may know of a better option I'd love to hear about it as I am still searching.

other than just a few side notes that's about all I can think of to help guide anyone willing to share some ideas with me.

SIDE NOTES: I do plan to purchase the evolv x as soon as it becomes available again, but for now I have its predecessor in its place.

I'm not quite set on storage options so if you have suggestions I'd love to hear.

Any peripheral suggestions would be appreciated as well. :)

Thanks for reading and for any help !

Under 4K: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gc2m29

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm fresh outta high school and I'm taking a year off and working full time, perfect time to get this new build going as I have plenty of disposable income.

Error: Does not compute. Unless you have extraordinarily rich parents, I can't recommend spending your whole budget on a single computer. Heck, I find it hard to justify the build I posted below that retains some RGB and your fancy hand made cables. Rent and college are expensive, and if you plan on taking off a year you are already missing out on some scholarships (depending on location). Student debt is awful, so trying to avoid it as much as possible would be a much better plan. If you have college covered, you can start a nest egg. Save for that down payment on a house, or even just keep funds in case you find yourself in need of a new car or with a huge medical bill. If you are fresh out of high school, unless you are an independently wealthy emancipated minor or something to that effect, 'disposable income' isn't a thing- there are just too many expenses at that time.

You can easily trim $1000 off and still keep a ton of RGB and your custom cables:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor $339.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $154.49 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $164.89 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $178.98 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $89.00 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.49 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB DUKE OC Video Card $679.99 @ B&H
Case Phanteks - Eclipse P350X (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Newegg Business
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $82.91 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit $102.89 @ OutletPC
Case Fan NZXT - Aer RGB120 (3-pack) 61.4 CFM 120mm Fans $79.99 @ NZXT
Monitor Acer - XB271HU bmiprz 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor $599.99 @ Newegg Business
Keyboard Logitech - G513 Carbon Wired Gaming Keyboard $149.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse $49.98 @ Amazon
Other Cables $125.00
Other personality $15.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $3002.57
Mail-in rebates -$70.00
Total $2932.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-05 17:21 EDT-0400

$1000 would pay for books for a semester with maybe some ramen left over.

I'd recommend looking at your computer as an investment, going for high price/performance ratio over aesthetics, and maybe considering a small laptop as well for schoolwork. You can probably shave another $500 off while still getting an i7 8700k/1080 ti system and a basic laptop. That $1500 could easily be put into certain types of financial accounts (money market, or some institutions offer more dedicated school/first time homebuyer savings) which will accrue interest faster than the rate of inflation. Or flatly invest that money. That would work too.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I appreciate the long reply, first off, however all I did was state that I am fresh out of high school, and that I have plenty of disposable income. I do plan on going to college next year.

I didn't come here for life lessons I came for guidance on my pc build. If you must know yes, I do have a full ride waiting for me when I start in the fall, and again, If you must know. I make 32.75 an hour. so yes. I have plenty of disposable income. I don't care about the money market, I don't care about homeowner stuff. I care about my build, so thanks for the life lesson but no, that's not what I'm here for.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I would agree on the spending to much not for the price but you can get the same gaming performance for less money and fairly the same looks.

Much lower priced cable extensions instead of 125 bucks for a full set, the case has a PSU shroud so nobody sees them till they come out the back of the case to connect to the parts.

No reason to buy windows 10 Pro.

That case has rather restricted airflow and nothing like what I would buy or recommend. For pure gaming a i5 8600K gives you really the same performance Google the gaming benchmarks.

For the drives a M.2 SSD is going to do nothing for you but I do like having the 2nd 1TB SSD to load all your games on.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor $249.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Corsair - H110i 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $163.90 @ OutletPC
Memory Team - T-Force Delta RGB 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $87.98 @ Newegg
Memory Team - T-Force Delta RGB 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $87.98 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $89.00 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $177.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $43.90 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING X Video Card $704.99 @ B&H
Case Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $97.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $94.89 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm Fan $39.30 @ Amazon
Case Fan Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB (2 pack w/Lighting Node PRO) 55.4 CFM 140mm Fans $76.68 @ Amazon
Monitor Acer - ED7 34.0" 3440x1440 100Hz Monitor $529.68 @ Amazon
Keyboard Logitech - G810 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard $117.95 @ Amazon
Other EZDIY Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Red White $29.99 @ Amazon
Other personality $15.00
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2877.16
Mail-in rebates -$60.00
Total $2817.16
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-05 18:44 EDT-0400
  • 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I like what you said about the m.2 and I agree, I've gone ahead and removed it and added a second 860 evo with only the 500gb, I'm gonna skip out on a hdd as I just cant go back after using sdd's for so long lol.

as for the i5, I likely would have gone with that option if it wasnt for two reasons, the i7-8700k and the 1080ti work so phenomenally together, and Im going to be playing on a pretty beefy monitor and I really wanna be able to pump out every possible frame.

about the case, I am aware about the case's airflow issues, actually I only have that one there as a placeholder until I can get my hands on the evolv x, perhaps youve heard of it? its more or less an upgraded model of the original, but the part that really sells it for me is that they are advertising it to have much better airflow than the original. that and I just think the case is the best looking case made to date.

and yes I agree with you on the cables, they are incredibly expensive cables, but they are priced that way for a reason, they're handmade all by the same guy, and their quality really is top of the line, furthermore you get to decide the color of each individual cable, which is really its selling point to me. however, if you have a link to another cheaper alternative that will let me do the same I would be pleased to see it.

also Ive gone ahead and taken the mouse and keyboard you changed out, I like the look of them much better lol.

thanks for your help!

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Fair enough. At that hourly rate I'd almost say skip the college, lol. Or maybe part time the college and keep the job...

Anyway.

So as far as your original build goes, I'd really like to see real world benches of the 2080/2080 ti if you want full top end. You should pick up an NZXT hub. Have you looked at Thermaltake? They have a few sweet high end cases for this like the View 71, and then you can go with their Riing fans which look amazing in my opinion.

For a monitor, I'd look for IPS like tech and G-Sync.

Examples:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vhkwrH/asus-monitor-rogswiftpg348q

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/c9qbt6/dell-aw3418dw-341-3440x1440-120hz-monitor-aw3418dw

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

haha yes, many people have told me the same. I just cant see myself working in a warehouse the rest of my life, going to college and pursuing a career I am fond of is of great importance to me.

as for the build, I completely agree with you on the 2080/ti models, seeing some real life benchmarks would be great, the price of the 2080 is not that far off from the 1080ti so I agree it may be worth the wait.

as for the case I have looked at the view 71 actually, I do find it quite interesting but Imho the evolv x is the most beautiful case ever made, something about the rgb front panel and its angular design. on top of that, they are advertising it to have significantly better airflow than its predecessor.

and for the monitor, I gotta thank you for the link to that asus monitor, after taking a read and watching a few videos on it, its obviously a beast of a monitor and it fits my budget well.

preciate your help!

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem! Oh, and get a full version of Windows Home (preferably the USB version because who doesn't need another USB drive? lol) rather than OEM Pro. Pro's only advantages are things like domain join and remote desktop, things that you probably don't need outside of a business scenario.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

SO! No peripherals. Do you need them? Anyways. here you go. Yes, it has 64Gb of 3200MHz RGB ram. IK overkill. look, your budget was 4K, I made you 4K, right? PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor $349.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Thermaltake - Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition 42.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $174.04 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $198.98 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $639.98 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $167.79 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $75.99 @ Newegg Marketplace
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card $699.99 @ B&H
Case NZXT - H700i ATX Mid Tower Case $196.50 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $85.98 @ Newegg
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2609.24
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $2589.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-05 20:45 EDT-0400

You could also Dual SLI the 1080TI and add the peripherals.

What cables do i get anyways? they have alot of choices.

EDIT: Dang, wish i could get this. Dream Build, U know?

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor $349.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Thermaltake - Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition 42.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $174.04 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $198.98 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $639.98 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $167.79 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $75.99 @ Newegg Marketplace
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card (2-Way SLI) $699.99 @ B&H
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card (2-Way SLI) $699.99 @ B&H
Case NZXT - H700i ATX Mid Tower Case $196.50 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $85.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $94.89 @ OutletPC
Monitor Acer - XG270HU 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor $349.88 @ OutletPC
Keyboard Corsair - K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE Wired Gaming Keyboard $119.99 @ Amazon
Total (before mail-in rebates) $3933.97
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $3903.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-05 20:54 EDT-0400
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I didnt even think about that, Thanks for pointing that out!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube