add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

4K drone/Go Pro editing rig Feedback

Capcadet05
  • 19 months ago

Hey all. Second custom build but first time using parts picker, awesome site! Looking for some feedback on my parts list. A few questions I would like help with. Overall objective is to edit 4K on adobe premier pro for my drone and go pro. From what I’ve read RAM is important but CPU clock /core is king. GPU seems like after thought since it doesn’t really get used by adobe but for a few tasks. My GPU really just has to stream video to the 4K tv screen at 60hz. I’m fine waiting for render, just want to be able to edit or view clips without choppiness or waiting just to play raw 4K. Budget was around $1000, you can see I left space for future growth.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PfH2jy

Questions: Will my fan selection conflict with RAM ports for elected RAM or my case ? Is there a way to use the dark rock fan or do I really gain anything for the money? I’m not really thinking about overclocking maybe if I did to 4.0 MHz (spec overclock). My concern is room for growth.... say I want to over clock later, could i swap the Heat sink for a new model after the thermal paste is applied without damaging it ?

From what I’ve read Ryzen 1800 is about as good as he 2700 (within 10% performance) but the price is 30% difference. Any compelling reason to go with 2700 over 1800?

Will 16 GB of ram be enough to run just premier pro editing ? I plan to add more at a later date.

Biggest concern is the video card. Is the 1060 good enough for what I want to do? Will it stream 4K video comfortably? I’m not using it for gaming so it’s not super intensive, just playing back 4 K footage.

Another small graphics card conundrum... I didn’t use and AMD Radeon cars on an AMD chip. Seems that the only thing I lose out on is sli/crossfire capes if I was using 2x GPUs. Is this correct? A little bias but sounds like Nvidia May be more optimized for premier Pro (yes I know about Radeon open CL for premier). Thoughts ?

Any other feedback for my parts list or conflicts I have not thought thru?

Comments

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Depending on the settings raw 4K fottage takes up a lot of space. It's also a real pain to render.

Cost you a bit more but you will be happier.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor $239.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $27.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - X370 KILLER SLI/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard $118.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $289.99 @ Corsair
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $94.99 @ B&H
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.49 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card $279.99 @ Amazon
Case Corsair - SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic - S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $34.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard Logitech - Wireless Combo MK270 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $18.99 @ Newegg Marketplace
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1270.29
Mail-in rebates -$55.00
Total $1215.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-05 12:58 EDT-0400
  • 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Zerk, thanks for the feedback. Two questions for you... since talking about this stuff and learning is almost better than buying lol.

I noticed you dropped to an x370 Mobo . The only difference I could tell for the 370 vs 470 was the AMD virtual drive merge (ie combining ssd with a 7200 rpm) into one as far as memory board was concerned. Do I lose anything else going with an older generation ?

I like what you did adding memory but dropping a few others so the price didn’t jump that much. Pretty good balance

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

The 470 supports the new processors out of the box it depends on the board as for other support. A SATA SSD gives close to the same performance as a M.2 drive depending on the use. If you were using it as a scratch drive or doing a lot of filr transfers then it would be worth the money. The 370 boards have also droped in price and yes my main go was to get the 32GB of memory without raising the price much or dropping performance.

4K editing and rendering is a heavy load on a PC.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

The fan you have is a bit large, so it might be in your best interests to consider something with a smaller form. I've never used the Hyper 212 before, but a few different reviews also seem to say the fan is a bit bulky in size. Additionally, pcpartpicker seems to state that there may be difficulty mounting this CPU cooler to the CPU, which may require an additional mounting kit. For starters, it's certainly a powerful cooler, but for future upgrades, you may want to consider something else or have a different one in mind for a later purchase.

You can reapply thermal paste to a CPU several times, depending on how you use the CPU and when you plan to replace it/reseat it into a new motherboard. If you're overclocking it regularly at high speeds, you may want to reapply thermal paste once a year or year and a half. Alternatively, any time you take the CPU cooler off, it's a good idea to clean the old thermal paste and reapply it.

According to userbenchmark the 1800x might clock better performance than the 2700, and will most definitely do so if you overclock it.

16GB of ram at DDR4-3200 speeds will definitely be enough to run Premier Pro Editing. I haven't used Premier before, but I've worked a bit with video and photo editing, and I was using 8gb RAM at DDR4-2400 with no issue. Granted, 32GB will certainly allow for faster/more intensive renders, but I personally haven't ever done anything that required that amount of RAM.

If you don't intend to play many video games, the 1060 should be able to play video back in a 4k resolution without much issue. Since rendering mostly relies on the CPU and RAM rather than the GPU itself, you should be alright in that capacity.

I've never actually worked with AMD GPUs, CPUs, or AMD chipset motherboard, nor have I done an SLI/Crossfire bridge for multiple GPUs.

Only other thing I'd recommend is a modular PSU for easier cable management. Your selected case has a bunch of good reviews boasting the cable management space, but for added simplicity and cleanliness of cables, I'd suggest a modular one, either semi or full.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

By "fan" I assume you're talking about the CPU cooler? The spec-02 takes CPU coolers up to 157 mm in height. The 212 should fit easily. There are probably better coolers, depending on whether you are emphasizing cooling or quiet or both. (For "both", my favorite is the Scythe Mugen 5, which fits with 3 mm to spare.) Or you could start with the stock cooler, which isn't bad as stock coolers go, and see if you feel the need to upgrade it.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

What about the dark horse four as a cooler ? Would That fit and provide better cooling while giving clearance from the ram ?

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

You mean the dark rock? It's a couple mm too high, and has ram clearance issues (which can be fixed by moving the front fan up, but then it's even higher).

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup I was looking at the dark rock but I read the same thing as well. Any alternate suggestions ?

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

The Scythe I mentioned is an excellent one, and will fit, if barely.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube