add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

NOOB First-time build (non-gaming) Fractal Design Node 304

russyd20
  • 20 months ago

Hi all,

Just interested to know if anyone has any thoughts on this potential ITX build;

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/BGVcBb

It's a non-gaming system, primarily for home office with infrequent photo/video editing. Trying to keep it below £750 ideally.

NOTES - I'd like it to last 2-3 years before needing a serious upgrade, and I've chosen an M.2 SSD for this reason. Is this a good option (over a cheaper SSD)? - Not planning to overclock etc, so I assume cooling will be sufficient? - As a first-time builder, is an ITX OK to start with?! (I have built drones before so I think I should be OK!?!?) - Finally, what is the cheapest GPU that would give me improvement beyond the integrated graphics??

If there are any glaring errors or any areas which could be (or need to be) improved please let me know. Really appreciate you comments, thanks! :D

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

ITX is fine to build with, just takes a little care. I'd install the PSU and then lay the empty motherboard in place so that you can see where the cables and other bits are going to go, before you load up the motherboard with cpu and ram.

Note that ITX cases seem to come on more varieties of size and shape than the ATX/mATX families. There are cubes, mini towers, flat boxes, etc. Make sure you have the shape you want before buying, and then make sure the PSU, GPU and CPU cooler will physically fit, and after that you should be good.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Zerk 2012,

This was some great feedback - thanks.

For a long time I had been deliberating between an i3 and i5, and I think you've convinced me to go back to the i3. This system you suggest also gets me a dedicated GPU, which again I had deliberated on for a long time. I don't need gaming-level graphics, but this will perform better than the integrated graphics, I assume??

And 8gb of RAM will be fine for my current 'basic' needs, right? That means adding more ram in the future is a quick and easy upgrade path...

For what it's worth, my 2012 New Zealand laptop (see below) has been great, but it's definitely time to upgrade!!

Operating System MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 CPU Intel Core i5-2430M @ 2.40GHz Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology RAM 8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24) Motherboard Sony Corporation VAIO (N/A) Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6630M (Sony) Hard Drives 488GB TOSHIBA TOSHIBA MK5061GSYN (SATA)

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube