add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$1300 Gaming PC Opinions

MachoNacho
  • 20 months ago

Hi, this is my 10th or so PC. I'm wondering wondering if anybody would have chosen parts differently. I want to learn what could be done better. The person I'm building it for wanted everything to be black and red.

The only thing I haven't confirmed yet is the CPU, the eBay seller backed out. I might be able to get a Ryzen 1600 for $170 off Craigslist.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/2RHP8Y

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

The build looks good overall, but there are a few tweaks that could be made.

There are 240GB SSD that can be found for about $45 (depending on the brand) although I don't know when you purchased the 120GB Kingston so the prices may have been different at the time.

For about $15 more, you also could have gone for a modular PSU. The NZXT H500, however, does have incredible cable management included in the case, so having a non-modular PSU shouldn't be an issue.

Other than those two things, you've got a powerful PC with a nice black and red aesthetic going! I hope you post a completed build once you've got it up and running!

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Where can you find SSDs like that? I got it off Mike's for $35, was the cheapest at the time.

For the PSU, you are exactly right. I was going to get a semi-modular with another case, but the buyer wanted this case. The case has so much room that I thought it wouldn't really make a difference. There's always options to upgrade in the future too!

Thank you for the reply

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

I didn't realize you were local to Canada. In that case, the price for Canadian dollars will be a bit higher than $45. I apologize for the misleading information.

Semi modular also functions for the sake of cable management. I've had the pleasure of working only with fully modular ones thus far.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

No worries, thanks for the input anyway. There is actually the 240GB version for 10-15 dollars more, but I didn't want to add any expenses.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

That PSU has no reviews out for it, way too much for that board, that copy of Windows isn't legit.

What is your budget?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

The PSU was rated 5 stars on Amazon, so I went for it from EVGA B-list.

The board was the cheapest red and black ATX B450 board, but in the future, I will get a plain black one and save $20, thank you.

Budget was $1300, in the title.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

The PSU was rated 5 stars on Amazon, so I went for it from EVGA B-list.

Those aren't real reviews. Those reviews are worthless. Consumers can not review PSU's. The reviews that matter are professorial reviews from sites like Tomshardware, HardOCP, Techpowerup, Jonnyguru, etc and really any site that at least tests ripple, voltage regulation, and opens the PSU up to examine it. Consumers just can't simply review a PSU since it requires opening it up and taking it apart, extensive knowledge about electrical engineering and PSU's, and having expensive equipment to test performance. Its why most sites and channels either half *** PSU reviews at best or don't do them at all.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/why-99-percent-of-power-supply-reviews-are-wrong/

This is more geared towards websites but it applies to consumer reviews too.

This is everything Tomshardware does to review a PSU.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-we-test-psu,4042.html#p1

The board was the cheapest red and black ATX B450 board, but in the future, I will get a plain black one and save $20, thank you.

I actually meant the custom price was more than the price listed on PCPP but that works too.

Budget was $1300, in the title.

Duh, I'm blind lol.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay thank you, I just assumed EVGA is a reputable brand, so it wouldn't be a bad buy.

I actually meant the custom price was more than the price listed on PCPP but that works too.

The custom price is just more because it includes shipping + tax. I'm not sure if you're from Canada, but there's hefty tax on computers + components.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points
  • Many of the parts you have listed are not available in your area (Canada) or cost more than shown.

• Here's a black and red theme build.

• Went with lower priced keyboard/ mouse combo, can upgrade now or later.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor $229.52 @ Amazon Canada
Motherboard MSI - B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.00 @ Vuugo
Memory Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $179.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Kingston - A400 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $89.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $47.99 @ Newegg Canada
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card $399.99 @ Amazon Canada
Case NZXT - H440 (Matte Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case $145.99 @ PC-Canada
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $95.99 @ PC-Canada
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full - USB 32/64-bit $118.00 @ Amazon Canada
Monitor Acer - GN246HL 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor $277.77 @ Mike's Computer Shop
Keyboard Redragon - S101 Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $37.99 @ Amazon Canada
Headphones Logitech - G230 Headset $58.21 @ Amazon Canada
Other Phanteks 24 Pin/ 8pin (4+4) M/B, 8pin (6+2) PCI-E Extension Cable Kit 500mm Length, Black/Red (PH-CB-CMBO_BR) $33.59 @ Amazon Canada
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1829.02
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-04 16:53 EDT-0400
  • 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. A few parts I ordered from eBay across the border, it was still cheapest.

The only reason I got that MoBo was because it was red and black, but in the future I would probably just get a black board and save $20. That was the cheapest red and black ATX board.

I had to keep the total within $1300, but aesthetics were a focus too.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Fine, it's $100 now.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube