add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Blown motherboard caps

Evilernut08

11 months ago

I have acquired a old Packard Bell desktop, and upon cleaning I noticed 4 blown capacitor's on the right side of the motherboard (SAM YUNG, 10v, 1000uf). The computer seems to be functioning OK, but sometimes goes really slow, Is it ok to continue using the PC as it has been used in this state for some time to my belief. Also could these blown caps be linked to the slowdowns? I have checked the hard drive for errors, and the machine only has 2GB DDR2, processor is Core 2 Quad Q6600.

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm surprised it's working, so I guess those are noncritical filter caps. I'd replace them if you can; you don't have to match brands, just capacity and meet or exceed DC working voltage. It's possible, if perhaps a bit unlikely, that lack of filtering is causing correctable errors either in memory or storage access which will absolutely slow things down. You might also be getting the occasional wrong result, although if it's not crashing I don't think I would worry too much about that. It's quite possible that the caps are affecting the USB ports.

If the hard drive is the original, that is a much more likely source of slowdowns: retries, recalibrations, sector remaps, etc. Transfer everything to an SSD, or at least a new(er) drive, and give the old spinner a decent burial.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I was looking at replacing them, with Panasonic RF series I believe... but cost £5.60, the caps themselves only cost £1.20 but the delivery charge is £4.40, not work the amount. Also I really don't want to invest any money into this machine at all, and I hope soon when my uncle upgrades his old Dell Inspiron I can use that along with the newer 600GB HDD that comes with it. Pulled the caps off the motherboard, and it doesn't seem to work anymore. I will have to go on a search for a new 775 motherboard for cheap.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have good soldering skills, you can replace the bad capacitors to see if that helps. They don't cost much.

To give you an idea of cost, see link.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=capacitor+10v+1000uf&ul_noapp=true

An old DDR2 is kind of slow anyway. Especially, if there is not enough Ram installed and forget multi-tasking.

You could try running some specialized cleaners on the system to remove anything that maybe effecting performance.

If you're interesting in trying this, let me know and I'll give you some tips on what software to use. Their all freeware.

Which OS is installed?

How much ram is installed?

"System Information" will show installed hardware components. See what model Packard/ Bell?

Check "Task Manager" to see how much "cpu usage" and "memory usage" is in use.

Hmm...pretty old processor: Release date: Q1'2007.

https://ark.intel.com/products/29765/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q6600-8M-Cache-2_40-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate, for some reason the USB port's are a bit dodgy on the machine so I have not been able to use my Windows 10 install.

CPU usage is very low, never goes above 35%, which has confused me. Maybe processor is not getting the correct power? As for RAM, it has 2x1GB sticks of DDR2 866.

The machine model number is a Packard Bell iMAX X3414. It also has a NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS card installed. I still think the processor is still pretty solid, being a quad core.

Also take cooling issues out of the possibilities, yesterday I completely disassembled the machine, cleaned it inside and out, replaced CPU and GPU thermal paste, and removed dust everywhere (I even went the extent to wet-wipe things down that still had some dust on). The whole thing looks brand new inside and out now. Also, this is how I discovered the blown caps.

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

I still use Windows 7 myself on one of my PCs, love it, too bad support for it is about to stop.

It appears this old computer meets the system requirements for Windows 10.

I agree with "kschendel" to upgrade to an SSD, which is the single best upgrade for an old PC.

This PackardBell Computer can take up to 4GB ram, PC2-5300 DDR2-667 240pin SDRAM DIMM. Crucial has a 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) DDR2-667 UDIMM, or a 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) DDR2-800 UDIMM which are both compatible with your system. They also sell the SSD, but you mostly likely can find a better deal on an SSD elsewhere. eBay has some really good prices on the 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) DDR2-800 UDIMM. I'd stick with the new stuff there.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Packard-Bell/imax-3414

Check in "Device Manager" for driver issues with USB.

To stress test the CPU.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/prime95-download.html

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I pulled the caps off the motherboard, and it doesn't seem to work anymore. I will have to go on a search for a new 775 motherboard for cheap. Don't think i'll be upgrading RAM unless I get some for free or come across a super cheap pair. Have a look at my reply to "kschendel"'s comment and it will explain a bit more.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube