add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Transporting "Not a Flamethrower" on a plane

Root_User
  • 21 months ago

Suppose you managed to obtain one of The Boring Company's "Not a Flamethrower" products and are unable to ship it. How would you transport it on a (domestic) flight? The box is about 36 inches by 4 inches by 12 inches.

There's nothing special about the propane tank, so that's easily left behind. There are no measurable traces of propane inside the body of the product, since it has not yet been used. Note that according to TSA regulations, empty lighters are permitted in either checked or carry-on baggage; the ignition system itself should not cause a problem.

Right now I'm planning to carry it on. The airline I'm using permits passengers to use overhead bin space for larger (with extraneous dimensions, but within the volume requirement and still capable of fitting in a bin) musical instruments, sports equipment, etc. if it fits (and space availability is based on boarding order, and I should be among the first). If I'm told at security that I cannot carry it on, my plan is to check it.

Thoughts?

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 8 points

Calmly alerts TSA

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

It sounds like you're joking that you're alerting TSA, but in case you're advising me to notify them, I do plan to. Putting an item that could be seen as having the geometry of a firearm into the machine without warning the officers is a bad idea.

• 21 months ago
  • 4 points

In all honesty I would not advise taking it in to cabin. Put it with the rest of the luggage to save yourself a nightmare.

• 21 months ago
  • 6 points

Final update: It went through checked luggage without issue. I taped the (original) box closed before sending it off, and the seal was not broken. If they opened it up, they must've replaced the tape. Otherwise, they were satisfied with the automated scans.

• 21 months ago
  • 4 points

You’d probably be better off shipping it to whatever it’s destination is. Sure it’s not filled with explosive material but at first glance someone will think it is. I don’t think it’s worth the risk.

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

Bingo +1, just ship it to yourself or the recipient at the other end. No problem.

• 21 months ago
  • 3 points

Can someone remind me what's the number to 911 again?

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

I think it starts with a three followed by a series of ones and fives. Though I could be wrong.

• 21 months ago
  • 3 points

Update: After a bit of discussion (I had brought some documents printed off the TSA website regarding lighters that are both empty AND uncontaminated and toys that may be viewed as having a resemblance to firearms or other actual weapons), TSA declined to allow it to be taken as a carry-on item (they cited its appearance as the reason), but they said I shouldn't run into problems having it checked.

At the drop-off point for checked luggage, some airline representatives were skeptical, but they ultimately allowed it through after calling over their senior rep. and a TSA officer to check it out. They said I'd be called over the intercom within half an hour if any issues were encountered during the standard screening. It's been over an hour at this point, and no call or alert has been made, according to gate agents.

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

I highly doubt you'll get past security with that, considering the TSA has x-ray machines...

If it looks like a weapon they'll probably treat it as one

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

simply check it as luggage and inform tsa ahead of time that its there just in case it gets flagged.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

As long as you don't intend to use it, and you show TSA it has no potential for harm, I think you should be fine.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube