add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How did video games influence your music taste?

DarTroX
  • 21 months ago

For me, my music taste was mostly shaped by games like Need For Speed, GTA, and Saints Row, Burnout Paradise, Forza. Those games introduced me to alot of the Alt Rock, Rap, and Electronic music that there is out there. What games did you play and how did it shape your music taste?

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

I don't know if there is any direct line between the games I played in the past, and the fact that I now can't stop listening to Outrun/Synthwave stuff. But probably.

Game soundtracks in general have always been some of my go to music.

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

Still don't listen to music but that mario galaxy soundtrack is awesome.

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

You don't listen to music? Like, at all? Are you a Dalek?

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

I just never got into music at all. I don't mind some soft rock, hip hop, or uplifting christian rock sometimes however I don't listen to music. It's just the way I am idk why. I'm not a robot but am somewhat antisocial.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

To each their own, I suppose.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

But seriously if you never have do a playthrough of super mario galaxy.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

I don’t really listen to music either. Just not that interesting.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

It pushed me closer to faster paced EDM when I was playing a lot of fast paced FPS.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

I added Legends Never Die to my playlist, if that counts.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

A lot of the music I listen to now is stuff directly from game soundtracks, mostly action and ambience music. I suppose associating the music with the fun I had played a role. In a similar vein, the not-from-games music I listen to is largely epic-orchestral, as well as some that is more moody or background-type music (if that makes sense).

I played a lot of Halo, Star Wars, and Call of Duty games as a kid and it really shows in my YouTube music playlists.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

I was mostly influenced by (very) old Quake clones and such.....

OpenArena has some really good music, and so does Red Eclipse.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmmm I think it was around when I bought the Super Smash Bros for Wii and I started to realize video game music could be super cool as well. Since then when I watch gameplay's or play some PC games I am always observing for good music.

A good example is Detroit: Become Human, I loved the main theme so much I am learning it on piano.

I can already play the first 40 seconds of the soundtrack and it has only been 2 days. Sometimes I like to jam out to video game music like Bayonetta's Moon River to match the mood.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly, the music I listen to now hasn't been shaped by video games. I'll gladly listen to soundtracks while I am working on stuff, but when I am at work or driving, I'll typically listen to Rock and Metal.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

nintendo has the best music

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Need for speed underground got me into Lil John... And amped snowboarding got me into Yellowcard, but the Tony hawk games expanded my punk collection back in the day

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Considering I spent most of my childhood playing LEGO games, I really doubt that it affected my music taste in any way. Now, I listen to lo-fi and eurobeat.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube