add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 10 slow. Very slow.

Evilernut08

12 months ago

Few days ago I attempted to use the "Asus optimal" BIOS setting, and manually adjusted it to 4.6GHz and 1.31v . I had done a very stable overclock previous to this on my 6700k, using a Asus Prime Z270-A, which was 4.6GHz at 1.31v. After running the "Asus Optimal" profile (of course i reset my BIOS before applying), a few hours later within Windows I came across a unfortunate BSOD. Because of this I decided default all BIOS settings (now on Normal mode), and then after restarting the BIOS I put my previous overclock settings in (XMP, 1.31v adaptive, 4.6GHz). I booted into Windows and everything carried on as normal.

A day or two later Windows started to lag. And I mean bad. It was terrible. Took about 3 minutes to log in. Everytime I would try to open "Settings", I would receive 20 messages from "Runtime Broker" saying the application is not in the state to be run or something along those lines. Every application took about 2 minutes to completely open, Chrome wouldn't allow me to search anything, and if I was lucky to get onto a page, YouTube videos will not play at all. Sometimes it would even completely freeze up and I would have to hard reset, or sometimes it would drop to like "2 FPS" within Windows for a few minutes.

This morning I decided to disable the overclock. Not sure what came across my mind, probably because I remember seeing similar behavior within Windows when I tried to do a 4.8GHz overclock ages ago. Now everything is fine. I have no problems. But why is this happening? Sorry for the long story but I wanted it to be as detailed as possible and have as much info as possible. And I am not thermal throttling. My speeds are not being reduced and my temperatures are ok.

My questions: Have I damaged some hardware?, Can I go back to my old overclock?, Does the CPU degrade its OC abilities over time?

P.S. The motherboard is a year old, while the CPU is over 2 years. This is because I went through two Asus Z170-PRO's, as they both blew up on me.

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

First, uninstall all software besides windows. under-clock your cpu back to its stock frequency. Then grab your windows installation cd or flash and click “fix windows” then click automatic repair. If it does not work, then reinstall windows.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Problem is it would be a pain for me to uninstall all software due to me having some software which requires a lot of modding and tweaking to get to a standard that I like. I will try to fix windows though. Thanks.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

what happens when you only overclock the CPU, and leave the RAM, no manual OC, no XMP profile?

my main machine was perfectly fine (CPU OC to 4.5GHz and RAM @3000) until I did a BIOS update, and it wouldn't boot the system when any form of OC was applied on my RAM... Asus Z170 pro gaming

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Just done some testing, it seems the issue is within Windows. I have had my CPU at base clock for a while now and it has gone back to its old slow tactics.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

well overtime an oc cpu will need more voltage to hit the same frequency so try 4.6 at 1.35

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube