add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

47c - 56c ok

Dtwenty
  • 21 months ago

I downloaded cpuid hwmonitor and under the 2700x temps i can see 3 temps, i keep hearing a fan inside my tower rev up for a sec then back down and when it happens i see the temps go from 47c up to 56c in a blink then tic slowly back down before then next "fan rev" over and over again. Is this normal temps/activity? Currently idle except for the game Im downloading in the background.

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

That is normal behavior.

CPU ramp up and down as needed it helps to conserve power and lower thermal output.

And whatever cooler you are using is unable to effectively dissipate the sudden increase in thermal output so it ramps up the fan to compensate.

You should be able to change the fan profile either in BIOS or with a manufacturer control software in Windows, just note that CPU will throttle boost clocks starting at 60c which is why such an aggressive fan profile is used.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

its the stock cooler but by the time I figured out how to clip it on the paste was kinda ... So I applied a dot of kyonaught but Im wondering if maybe I should have gone a little heavier with the dot

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Doesn't really take much so you are probably fine.

Just a case of high idle temp, low throttle point, and an aggressive fan profile attempting to keep boost clocks from throttling.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Is any of that bad? I let TW3 run in the background for 20 mins and hwmonitor showed 55-62c, is this ok? Iv'e only built non-k intels before so i don't mess with temp, oc'ing ect.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not bad, and far from hard throttling.

The stock cooler for that model is a old design with new bling and hype, but you still have the same old thing with the same old problems at its core.

It is a cooler designed purely for dissipation with no real mass to soak up spikes in temperatures.

So anytime you idle close to a temperature the fan profile ramps up speeds at you get erratic behavior.

Nothing bad just can be annoying.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thanks. and what temps should i look out for on this cpu and what does a 10 degree off set mean?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube