• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Goku1040 10 months ago

I just build my first ever pc :), now i'm trying to buy a good anti virus software for a decent price. Which antivirus would you recommend?

Comments Sorted by:

WadeM105 4 points 10 months ago

I've heard from many different places that BitDefender is the best, hope this helps.

DANIEL777 0 points 10 months ago

It eats up your CPU... I used it once with an i7-4790k, and CPU usages spiked up to 98%!

thedukeanator13 2 Builds 3 points 10 months ago

I've used pretty much every antivirus I can think of (Norton, AVG, Bitdefender, Malwarebytes, Kaspersky, McAfee, and probably some others I am forgetting). Malwarebytes is probably the lightest on my system, however, it is not the most feature rich. (Random tools that most people won't use). Bitdefender definitely comes in second for the lightest in my system.

Bitdefender detection is on point and it's performance kmpact is negligible, take a look at the article below: Here's an article PCMag wrote which might be worth taking a look at: https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2461403,00.asp Tom's Guide also gives it a nice break down: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/bitdefender,review-3983.html

I would go Malwarebytes or Bitdefender, either way, I have had great experience with both, and would more than trust them with my PC.

Goku1040 submitter 1 Build 1 point 10 months ago

Thanks for the feedback

[comment deleted]
jakeSpot 2 Builds 3 points 9 months ago

unpopular opinion, coming up ahead

I don't do much web browsing these days, so I use Windows Defender (along with the free version of Malwarebytes). However, I'd say no matter how careful you are, you are still susceptible.

Luiz43 2 points 9 months ago

Dude, i use Kaspersky in my build for 3 years ago and him save me some times when he accuses some things wrong i pay R$ 30,00 one year.

lodie187u 1 Build 2 points 9 months ago

I dont use any antivirus on mine besides the windows one built in. Dont click on things your not suppose to on top of downloading torrents and you dont have to worry about anything.

Goku1040 submitter 1 Build 2 points 9 months ago

I'm buying antivirus since it's my first build ever :), I just want to be safe.

TheShadowGuy 2 points 9 months ago

Unless you want the features included in a paid AV solution, there isn't much point to spending the money.

Bitdefender is my go-to recommendation for free AV right now. It's lightweight and has great performance.

Some other good ones include Kaspersky Free and Avast.

Don't forget to have a scanner like Malwarebytes (free, don't forget to deactivate premium trial and other crap) as a backup.

Goku1040 submitter 1 Build 1 point 9 months ago

I went with webroot sonce it doesn't take much space. Thanks for replying though.

Morgan123 2 points 9 months ago

I'm using Norton Security 360. I've used it for the last decade. It's free with a Comcast Subscription. But, if you have to pay for it, it well worth the price. Has great support. I only use the Antivirus, Antispam, and Firewall parts of it. In addition, I use the free versions of Malewarebytes, and Superantispyware for periodic system scans. I also use, the free version of ccleaner. Occasionally, I clean out %temp%, and temp files. Delete browser history. Keep hardware and software updated. My system always runs great. I can't remember the last time my computer system got infected with something bad. Maybe, since back in the early of Windows 7 days. Hope this helps.

Goku1040 submitter 1 Build 1 point 9 months ago

Thank you

[comment deleted]
DANIEL777 1 point 10 months ago

I would recommend AVG antivirus. It is easy to use, and comes with plenty of features. Scan times are slower than Bitdefender, but uses much less of your CPU, making it the perfect balance.

Goku1040 submitter 1 Build 1 point 10 months ago

Thank you

PCPPAccountant 1 point 10 months ago

I use the free version of Avira and just plain common sense when I choose what sites to visit. I've had good luc with this and would recommend Avira.

worstcaster 1 Build 1 point 9 months ago

I'm using Avast. I haven't had any problems yet, other than it asking me if I want to upgrade to premium (I don't).