add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Hopej2851

14 months ago

I downloaded express vpn and ended up with a virus Avast found it but said it can't delete it. Is there any PC shops that can fix it over the web? or remote access? Or should I just reinstall windows?

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 3 points

ExpressVPN is legit, where did you download it from? In my experience with Avast a couple years ago it had several false positives for various things, so I would double check with another program like Avira, or even just Windows Defender. Also try to Google search the specific file it flagged, if you downloaded ExpressVPN from their own website I guarantee you are not the only one to have gotten this same issue.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I got it from a different website. not sure what the virus is I don't have any web open or anything playing and every few mins it starts playing tv commercial audio in the background

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

What specific error/file did Avast say it flagged? There should be a log that you can check. Google search that file name, see if anything comes up. Idk where you purchased it from, but if it was a shady site and not a legitimate or well known retailer you could have very easily gotten something nefarious.

Also, have you tried uninstalling ExpressVPN? If you do have a virus that likely won't solve the issue, but a good first step is to just uninstall what you can, and if you buy it again, get it from ExpressVPN's website: https://www.expressvpn.com/

[comment deleted]
  • 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for all the comments and advice

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey man, if the virus is not detected by Avast, those a good chance it's a bad one. I recommend try one of these 15 bootable virus removal tool. That way, you don't boot off your hard drive and activate the virus. A lot of viruses these days seems to start even when in safe mode.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

First, check the file name online to see what you can find out.

Then I'd recommend booting from a USB antivirus tool like this one and running a scan. You can also dig through your running programs using Windows Task Manager or Comodo Cleaning Essentials Killswitch component to kill the malicious process and run a scan using any number of other scanning tools like Malwarebytes, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, the aforementioned CCE, etc. If one of them still says it can't be deleted, look up the malware's registry keys and files, delete as many as you can, reboot, then scan again to try to clean up the rest.

Reinstalling Windows is generally the nuclear option of last resort.

Like others said, Express VPN is legit. Downloading software secondhand is generally a bad idea.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube